Chapter 62: Have A Care

"Captain Thoron!" shouted lieutenant Eramir.

"Report."

"The approaching caravan is twenty strong, from Lorien. By the looks of it there is someone important riding with them - for the Marchwarden himself rides at the fore."

"Are there still scouts deployed?"

"Yes, Captain. He should report within the next two hours."

"And the enemy?"

"Still some time away. We estimate around forty individuals, mostly orcs - some goblins."

"They are always where the official visitors are," mused Thoron. "There is a pattern here Eramir, Commander Celegon hinted at as much."

"It does seem strange ..." said the lieutenant. "They seem to be - aware - of our movements."

"Set a steady pace toward the Lorien guard. Let's see if we can intercept the enemy before they engage our visitors, whoever they are..." said the captain, and Eramir did not miss the worry behind his words.

TSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTS

Silver hair whipped through the air and a prince with cold blue eyes lent forward over his black stallion, a group of eight fey warriors behind him; two were Noldorin, one was Sindarin, four were Silvan, and the last of them was neither one thing nor the other.

The pace that had been set was merciless, and had it not been for Legolas' call to rest, their horses would have been run to ruin. Rinion wheeled his horse around, his cape swirling around him, face furious.

"How dare you!" he seethed as his horse struggled beneath him, flanks heaving too fast.

"You will kill our mounts; someone had to give the order."

"You will not gainsay me, lieutenant," spat Rinion.

"I do what is best for our warriors - lieutenant," came Legolas' confident reply.

Rinion's eyes narrowed dangerously, and Legolas' slanted even more than they normally were, glittering in silent challenge.

"Five minutes."

"Ten, then we should make it to Maeneth's position without stopping," said Legolas.

"Princess Maeneth to you, lieutenant," said Rinion as his horse pranced beneath him.

"Princess Maeneth, of course, my Prince," nodded Legolas a little too exaggeratedly.