Chapter 63: Resist No More

They were singing at the camp ahead, for the merry, Silvan tune floated upon the afternoon air and infused them all with a sense of warmth and belonging, even the Sindar joined in the forest air and this time, they did smile, their eyes straying from time to time to their lovely princess who sat amongst them, hand in hand with their Crown Prince, her face set in absolute bliss.

Elladan watched them and smiled, his sparkling grey eyes alight in curiosity and admiration.

"Rafnohtar - you are besotted," snorted Lindohtar from beside him.

"Elladan turned a peeved face to his brother in arms. "I am not - besotted - " you Silvan fool," he said, but his eyes turned back to Maeneth once more and the smile was back.

"Oh, oh!!" exclaimed Lindohtar as he flapped his hand in the air - "I feel a melody coming to me.... Silver Princess of my Noldorin heart, I...."

"Shhshshshshut up!" hissed Elladan, batting at Lindohtar's theatrically gesticulating arm.

The Silvan chuckled wildly, drawing the attention of the other warriors around him.

Lindohtar did stop laughing, but he could not hold it for long, and a long, drawn out snort escaped him again and he pulled away from Elladan, regrouping with the rest of the Company as he chuckled uncontrollably.

Elladan scowled, and his eyes accidentally fell upon Haldir, who was staring back at him strangely. His scowl deepened, watching as the Marchwarden turned his eyes to Maeneth and suddenly he understood, and a sinking feeling invaded him. Were they together? he wondered, for there had been no mistaking that look of possessive protection Haldir had shot him.

He would find out, he resolved. Legolas too, watched his sister and Rinion, he realised, yet it was not joy Elladan could see on his face. There was curiosity there, but there was also sadness, and Elladan was suddenly reminded that this elf was but half his own age. It was easy to forget when one spoke with him, fought with him, but in this one thing, when his gaze was unguarded, he was still readable.

Elladan could not bring himself to resent Rinion though, however much he disliked the elf. He obviously shared a special relationship with his sister, and he could not fathom what it would have been like to have been separated for all those centuries. Even so, both siblings had all but ignored their half brother, after a duteous and all too brief introduction by a reluctant Rinion, and although Legolas would never admit to it, Elladan knew it had stung Legolas.

They could see the tents of the Silvan encampment up ahead, and then the mighty stone fortress beyond, their final destination and Elladan's eyes were back on Legolas, watching as he fidgeted again in the saddle - his hip was giving him grief yet he had not complained at all. Poor child, he mused in fondness and suddenly wished he could deposit his friend into the arms of his Silvan kin, to Amareth and Marhen for some well-deserved comfort and attention. It would soon be his investment and the ensuing feast at the fortress - there would be little time for rest and recovery then.

His eyes swivelled back to Maeneth of their own accord and he realised she had sought Legolas with her own eyes, bright with curiosity and, perhaps, admiration. He could not be sure, yet one thing was certain, she did not share Rinion's instant aversion to his half-brother and his heart swelled even more than it had the first time his eyes had fallen upon her. He smiled stupidly, blissfully unaware of the expression that had taken up residence on his undoubtedly Noldorin features. A loud snort and ensuing chuckles broke the magic and Elladan closed his eyes in utter frustration and exasperation.

The sound of choirs and music was becoming louder as they approached the outlying Silvan camp. It was massive in its expanse, and Rinion's head was close to Maeneth's again as he explained their presence and the imminent festivities. Her eyes slipped briefly to Legolas once more before turning back to her brother.