Chapter 38: A Message For the Noldor

"I am sorry - sorry that I worried you, that was never my intention," said Legolas as he sat amongst The Company. "Do not deny it, brothers; I have seen it, just as I have seen your resentment of Lord Elrond and Mithrandir for not allowing you to see me.

"What right did they have to bar those closest to you? After an ordeal such as the one you have lived through? Surely you needed the company of friends, not intrusive lords and wizards that would interrogate you err you even opened your eyes!" finished Ram en', now having thoroughly riled himself.

He was not alone, and Legolas watched them as one by one, they added their own thoughts and comments and when they had finished, and still, Legolas did not speak, they simply stared at him in curious silence.

"I understand you, and I understand them - brothers," he said as he leant forward. "But do not underestimate what has transpired here," he began carefully, watching as their expressions changed from indignant to concerned.

"I cannot speak of it all - but I must tell you the short of it, for it will affect us all, and there are decisions you must make as individuals..."

They did not speak, did not move, they simply stared, still oblivious to the significance of Legolas' experience.

"My gift," he began, his eyes moving over them all. "I was not born with it - it was given to me or rather, I was chosen - for a purpose..."

Legolas understood their baffled expressions, their confused silence for his own words had seemed strangely impossible. 'Chosen', he had said ...

"I cannot disclose that purpose entirely, for I do not understand it myself. But a large part of it is to defend the work of Yavanna, protect the forests and the people that live within. You may ask," he continued, "what difference there is between this purpose and that which I have always wanted to achieve, and the answer would be nothing - nothing at all. If I was chosen for this it is because this was always my aim in life, in spite of the Valar and their wishes. I know there is more to it, and the lords know that too, but for now and for me, it is enough."

"And so, why do you deem this so significant?" asked Rhrawthir in puzzlement, "if it changes nothing."

"But it does, brother. My purpose must not be impeded by land or lord, Rhrawthir. I must answer to no one in my efforts, save to she who commands me..."

The Company sat in dawning understanding, but kept their silence as Legolas elaborated.

"The point being, that I must somehow gain my freedom, freedom to act where and when necessary. Now I am not a liberty to decide over my own wanderings, for I am a warrior of King Thranduil's militia and although I do not want that to change, I must garner my king's understanding of this, my calling. I must try to secure for myself a position in which I may continue to serve the Greenwood and my Lady and thus, fulfil that which I have been charged with."

"But you are not even a lieutenant yet, Legolas. How can you possibly hope to achieve this?" asked Ram en' Ondo.