Chapter 35: Synergy

Legolas sat together with The Company in one of Elrond's many gardens. It was dormant, the shrubs and flowers mostly asleep and vulnerable - but the trees were not - the trees, although many leafless and apparently absent, Legolas knew it was not so, for the slow trickle of emotions and notions brushed comfortably now upon his mind.

"That move was amazing, the one where you swivel and stab back and then under slice to the side - I loved that one," said Rhrawthir enthusiastically.

"Or how about the one Elladan showed us with the sword - the feign to the left with just a light twist of the wrist - amazing!" said Lindohtar.

The Company sat and talked of their training, of the things they had learned and of how sore their muscles were. Legolas smiled as he only half listened to what they said, for truth be told he was exhausted. He had pushed his body further than he had in a long time, and of his mind - well - his new-found gift, his new-found family, the Qalma Liltie ....

"Legolas!" said Ram en' Ondo as he slapped his friend playfully on the arm. "Early night for you then?" he asked with a mischievous grin.

"I wish," he said with a smile. "But it is as you say, Lindo. There is so much to learn, so many new things to practise and hone. I must measure myself better for I am feeling the strain of it," he scowled as he rubbed a sore shoulder.

"I know what you mean," said Idhrenohtar. "My mid-section screams at me every time I move, it is excruciating - like being a novice once more!"

"Elladan says there are hot springs not far from here - he has invited us to go this evening. I thought and thought about it and..."

"Ram en', you oaf - you said yes, of course?" said Rhawthir in mock outrage.

"Well of course I did - Dimaethor will come if he can - but that depends on our prince Handir of course," said Ram en' as he settled back against the bark of a tree.

"Aye well - I am off to the shooting field - I have much to improve if I am to take the grade," said Idhrenohtar.

"You are preparing for it then," asked Legolas in surprise.

"Aye - Glorfiindel reckons I could do it before we leave, if I work at it hard enough."

"Then I am already proud, Idhreno. You can do it, I know it," said Legolas with a determined smile, and Idhreno smiled back, nodding a little shyly.

Legolas pondered that for a moment, for Idhreno had never shown that emotion before, not to him and he wondered at it.

Before long, the rest of The Company had complained about diligent trainees and had moved to their respective stations; some to shoot, others to spar, and in the case of Legolas - to sleep!

Some time later, Glorfindel came across the slumbering elf, now slouched against a tree. His long, muscled legs were stretched out before him, arms limp to his sides and his head tipped backwards, mouth slack and eyes glazed.