Chapter 31: Second Awakening

Breakfast was over, but the stares and the whispering were not. Imladris was afire with gossip and hearsay, and everywhere Legolas went, silence followed. And then came the whispers and the lingering stares; Thranduil's bastard child was the subject of every conversation and a heavy weight settled upon Legolas' chest, for what would his king think? His secret was now common knowledge in a land that shared but cursory relations with The Greenwood.

With a deep breath, Legolas watched as Elladan knocked upon the solid, carved oak of Elrond's inner sanctum - his private study, and as the doors opened, Legolas found himself standing before the lord himself, Glorfindel and Erestor at his shoulder. Behind them, Prince Handir, Lainion and Commander Celegon stood together, while Elrohir sat alone upon the window seat, looking apparently unconcerned.

They looked regal, splendid and old, wise and all-seeing and for a moment his courage wavered. These lords had fought in the Last Alliance, had known his grandfather, had seen the face of Sauron and marvelled at the sights of the Hidden City. Glorfindel, sworn brother of his own grandfather, had fought Demons of Morgoth and here, was Legolas, Silvan warrior with no rank and no title, no family name to add to his own.

He bowed before Elrond silently, meeting the grey eyes squarely, allowing the lord to see his apprehension, for he would, Legolas knew. What good would it do to hide it save to make himself appear even younger and more inexperienced than he already was?

"Your first day of freedom, Legolas. How do you feel?" asked Elrond kindly.

"Well, my Lord, thanks to you and your household," he said, and Elrond nodded, before gesturing to a seat.

His eyes begged to wander, to relish the artwork that hung on the stone walls - paintings, murals, tapestries, carvings - his fingers itched to touch it all, but Elrond had other plans, it seemed. There was nothing for it, this he had known from the moment Elladan had summoned him. He was uncomfortable, nervous, completely ignorant to how they would react to their newfound knowledge of his heritage, except for Glorfindel with whom he had spoken just the day before and had unexpectedly found a sympathetic ear.

"As you know, Legolas, it has come to our attention that you are the son of King Thranduil, born outside the bounds of matrimony. As such, it is important, from a diplomatic perspective, that Imladris should be made aware of certain issues that may affect our dealings with those of The Greenwood." He paused here for a moment, his eyes watching Legolas for a reaction before continuing.

"I want you to know that whatever is said here today, will be done so with the sole purpose of adopting an official stance on your existence. I know," he added quickly, "that sounds a little cold and that is not my intention, Legolas. Indeed it is important to me - to us, that you understand the political ramifications of this situation.

Again, he paused but Legolas remained silent, his eyes fixed upon Elrond.

"We know that you have been aware of your heritage for only a few, scant days, and that perhaps you have not had the time to truly understand how this may change things."

It was only now, that Legolas reacted, and in no uncertain terms. "Change things? Why would it change things, my Lord? I want nothing from my father, I claim nothing..."