Chapter 51: Shine

Elladan was tired, exhausted after two days of battle, in which the enemy had not been the darkness but infection, and Elladan - had lost.

His clothes were crumpled and untidy, his hair a mass of tangled knots; his boots were filthy and his heart in pain for the elf that had meant so much to him, in spite of the short time they had known each other.

He had tried and had been found wanting; yet there was no guilt, for Elladan knew he had done all he could, had left no stone unturned. It was frustration, anger that the key had slipped through his fingers.

The Company had left for the barracks, in search of rest, and then a place to prepare themselves for Dimaethor's rites of passage that evening, for Hwindohtar had asked them to shine for their lost brother, and Elladan knew they would do no less - indeed neither would he.

But first, he knew he must visit the king, for Elladan was a Lord of the House of Elrond and protocol required he paid his respects. And then there was the small detail that he did not know where to go. A visiting lord was generally provided with rooms inside the main building - not that it mattered to Elladan, but he was his father's representative.

Soon he was inside and with no idea of where to go and so, asking for instructions, he was sent to Lord Aradan's office.

After three flights of stairs and an increasingly heaver step, Elladan knocked upon the heavy oak doors.

The door opened to reveal a blond Sinda with tired eyes.

"Elrondion?" he asked.

"Elladan Elrondion, my Lord. I seek audience with the king to pay my respects."

"Of course, my Lord, we were expecting you. Come, I will escort you," he said tiredly, his eyes travelling over the exhausted Noldo.

"I wanted you to know, Elrondion, that your efforts to save our brave warrior have been noted. The people are grateful," he said softly but pointedly. "I am sorry we were not there to escort you here," he said sincerely, his eyes raking over the disheveled warrior-healer.

Elladan turned to look at the regal-looking Sinda, allowing himself a small smile and a nod of thanks to the Councillor, but he said nothing for he was too tired, and not enough in control of his own emotions to speak of it just yet.

Soon enough, a bedraggled Elladan stood before the pristine King of Greenwood the Great, but to Elladan's utter shock, the monarch walked towards him, took his head between his hands, and kissed him upon the brow, before drawing back and looked deeply into his grey eyes.

"You have my thanks for your care of Lainion. I have heard of your efforts, Elladan, in spite of your own needs."

Elladan's eyes filled but he did not shed a tear for had he, he knew they would not stop and so he swallowed them back and nodded, just as he had done with Aradan.