Chapter 30: The Silence of The Silvans

The Company, with the exception of Legolas, had been freed from the confines of the Healing Wing, and now they sat in borrowed clothes upon Legolas' bed as he moaned and complained of his own 'incarceration' as he called it.

Lindohtar giggled as he pulled at Galdithion's fine tunic. "We look like lords!" he exclaimed, and Ram en' Ondo beamed proudly as Lindohtar swaggered his hips and cocked his wrist.

"Fools," smiled Legolas, then winced as his wounds pulled.

"You have new robes too, Legolas - you must be fed up with being naked!"

"Shut up, Idhrenohtar! I am not naked, I am wearing bandages..."

Galdithion snorted and Lainion's eyebrow rose as he asked. "Even there...?

Lindohtar hooted and Legolas glared at the Avari, obviously deciding that there was nothing else for it than to endure their foolery. They had been worried, he knew - it was their way of releasing the negative tension they had accumulated over the last three days. The light-hearted banter did not last long though.

"How was your talk with our Prince?" asked Idhrenohtar, his eyes fixed on Legolas.

Silence fell over The Company. The subject was still new. They had not spoken of Legolas' surprising heritage - there had been no time, and when there had been time, it had not been the appropriate moment.

"Well," he began carefully. "He was kind and - distant. I am not sure what I expected; hate and anger, or cool dismissal. I have not had the time to ponder it. I suppose it is enough that he did not treat me with disdain..."

"And you are content with just that?" asked Ram en' Ondo, to which Galdithion nodded his agreement.

"Not content, Ram en', but think. I am the one to interfere with his family structure, I am the one who could, potentially, cause him much strife. I do not know the full story but I suspect there has already been much heartache surrounding my - existence. I have no rights, and no right to demand his regard as a brother."

Galdithion's face was serious. "Legolas. Family is sacred, you share the same blood..."

"It is not about the blood we share, Gal, but about the blood that separates us."

"Be that as it may," he insisted, "you owe each other respect. Part of what he has is yours."

"No!" said Legolas forcefully, before softening his tone. "Nothing he has is mine. Nothing..." he whispered. There were deep emotions swirling under the surface, his unwillingness to speak any further becoming evident to them all.

"And yet," continued Galdithion, unwilling to let it go. "And yet you are wrong. You may not want it - but it is yours by right," he finished, equally convinced of what he said.