Night of Foreboding

Note: This story is a work of fiction.
Any resemblance between characters, places and events in real life is purely coincidental.

Please do not copy or distribute this work as your own, without the author's permission.

*   *   *

I can still recall it clearly.
The night I first met Samantha was just like any other; calm, dark and familiar.
In my previous life all my friends called me Zack.
I preferred it that way, simply because my full name: Zackary Trenton, just never sounded right to me.
Now, however, I'm known only as another inmate, mercilessly thrown together with a bunch of others just like me.

People that have commited crimes from which there is no return . . .

It all started with a knock on the door.
It was already past midnight and most of my family was asleep.
I opened the door and saw one of the most beautifull girls I had ever seen.
She had long black hair, hazel brown eyes and was wearing a simple black dress which showcased her perfect waistline as well as her beautifull long legs perfectly. For a moment I just stood there in silence, taking in every second of her beauty.

"Uhm, hello?".

I was instantly pulled back to reality as the girl started to speak.

"I'm looking for Trent."

I groaned inwardly as the girl mentioned my brother.
Of course she would be looking for Trent.
There's no way a girl looking like that, would ever be interested in a guy like me.

My brother Trent had always been the favorite son.
Although he was only 4 years older than me, at age 22, the gap seemed far wider.
He possessed looks that far surpassed mine and was on a completely different level when it came to women;
A level that I could not possibly hope to reach.
His body was very masculine as a result of his daily training schedule, and although he practically dropped out of school it seemed as if everything just magically went right for him.
To top it all off our parents chose to name him Trent because of the alliteration:
Trent Trenton.
At one time I had hoped people would make fun of his name like they did mine, but on the contrary, they actually loved it.
Guys thought it was cool and the girls found it cute.
Yet another example of how well everything went for him.

"Of course".
I replied.

The last few days I rarely saw my brother and at the times I did see him, he was always on the phone.
I wondered if this girl was perhaps the reason for all that.

"I'm sorry but he's not home right now".
I answered, recalling the fact that my brother had gone out earlier that night.

No doubt to party and pick up girls.
Few people really knew of my brother's true nature, a playboy with a nack for getting into trouble, and I wondered if this poor girl actually knew what she was getting into.

"Oh alright then, when he comes back tell him that I came by okay?
I tried calling him but I guess he didn't notice".

Yeah right,
I thought, recalling how my brother simply ignored incoming phone calls whenever it suited him.