Making arrangements

I stood in my room, and was overcome by a surge of anger.
What the hell was Trent thinking!
And more importantly what was going on with Samantha?
Did she really just forgive him that easily?
Did she really expect things to be alright, after all this?
Finally my temper got the better of me and I punched the wall as hard as I could.

Good god did that hurt!

Despite Samantha’s clear message to stay out of it, I just couldn’t.
I marched downstairs and started searching for my brother.
But when I finally saw him though, it was with Samantha, laughing loudly in his arms.
To anybody else they would just look like any other ordinary, loving couple.
But not to me!
Only I knew the truth!
Behind Samantha’s false smile, there hid a hurt little girl.
But even though I knew this, seeing her act that happy with my brother, made me want to believe it too.
I kept on staring, and was caught off guard when she looked in my direction.
The intensity in her eyes said enough; stay away!
In the end I made my decision, albeit a little grudgingly.
If Samantha wanted me to stay out of it, I would.
I turned around and went outside for some fresh air.
Once outside, I could still hear Samantha’s laughter inside my head, and I wondered if perhaps everything would be alright after all.

I seriously doubted it...

*   *   *

I didn’t speak to Samantha again, for a while after that, and I avoided Trent many times, fearing that I wouldn’t be able to resist the urge to punch his teeth out.
I couldn’t avoid her forever though, and a perfect example of that was when she came by to visit again about a few weeks later.

I was outside when I heard her voice:

“Hi, Zack.”

I was sitting on the front porch reading, and hadn’t even heard her approaching—I tend to get lost in my thoughts while reading a good book you see— she was standing in front of me as beautiful as ever, wearing a simple white dress with little sunflower imprints.
The dress made her seem younger, and more carefree, and my heart lurched, despite the fact that I was still confused,
and angry with her, about the decision she had made.

I didn’t answer and she continued speaking:

“How’s it go—”

“What are you doing here?” I interrupted.

She looked taken aback, and I couldn’t really blame her.
Even though it was unintentional, my tone was anything but welcoming.

“I came because of Trent,” she answered.

“Is that so?” I asked, not being able to stop the sarcastic tone from creeping into my voice.

That did it!

She looked me straight in the eyes and said:

“Look Zack, I’m sorry for the way that I reacted okay?
But please try to understand that I really do love your brother.
So much so, that I wouldn’t even hesitate to give him a second chance.
Besides, things have been really great lately, and I just don’t see any reason to mess things up now.”