New Beginnings

Samantha stayed with my brother for about two more weeks before they broke up. During that time she never came to visit again even once, and I was ultimately forced to accept the truth.

Samantha was gone. And she was never coming back!

Without her, everything felt meaningless. Even at school I could barely get myself to feel something and pay attention to what was happening around me. My friends noticed this and tried to cheer me up:

“What’s up Zack? You’ve been real quite these past couple of days.”

I looked up and saw my friend Justin. Justin was the cheerful type. You’d never see him looking down for very long, and although he wasn't very handsome he was far from ugly—although, I would never admit that to him in person.

“Leave him alone Justin. He’s obviously got a lot on his mind.”

I turned to my right and saw Eric. Eric wore glasses which made him seem real intellectual. Not that he wasn’'t, but I thought they just emphasised that fact even more. Always the calm and thoughtful one, I was grateful to have him as a friend.

"“Yeah I know that, but the real question is, what ?”" Justin continued.

“It’s nothing important,” I responded quickly.

“Really? I don’t believe that for one second” Eric countered. “Otherwise you probably would have noticed that first period is already starting.”

I looked at the time quickly and realised that we were running late.

“Crap. And you guys choose to tell me this now?” I blurted out already running.

“Hey don’t blame us. We weren’t the one’s openly brooding in silence,” Justin interrupted laughing.

"“Yeah, yeah,” I shrugged. “Way to pin the blame on me. But seriously if we don’t hurry up we’re definitely going to be la—”

I bumped into someone quite heavily, jogging at an impress speed—my gym teacher would have been proud—and we both fell to the floor awkwardly.

“Hey! Watch where you’re going will you? Or were you trying to give me a concussion?” Declared, the unfamiliar voice.

“Me? You should have been more careful too. You realize, that I wasn’t the only one responsible for our collision, don’t you?" I shot back.

The person got up and I mouth gaped open in surprise. If it wasn't Christina, one of the most popular girls at school. I had to admit she was beautiful. And that wasn't all, she also got good grades, and had a flair for anything artistic.

‘I seriously have the worst amount of luck,’  I thought bitterly. Even though I knew of her, we never actually spoke—mostly because she and I belonged to two entirely different social circles. To think our first conversation would be an argument. I quickly recovered and started speaking.

"Look I'm sorry. I didn’t see—”

“Save it,” she cut me off with a rude gesture. “I’m really not interested,” she went on, while she was caught up in the motions of dusting herself off.