Chapter 21

"So let me repeat everything you just told me, to see if I didn't miss anything".

The detective looked me square in the eyes.
He seemed important, and his presence was overwhelming.
Clearly he'd been doing this for a while.

"You fell in love with this girl named Samantha, who also happened to be your brother's girlfriend.
You went over to the abandoned building because you received her so called suicide note.
You managed to convince her otherwise, but your brother followed you, the two of you fought and you acted in self defense".

The detective stared at me, and I simply nodded.

I was too caught up in my thoughts to really hear anything he was saying.
After Samantha left I searched my brother's pockets and found his cellphone.
I used that to call an ambulance.
I sat and waited in silence, glimpsing at my brother's body every now and then.
I didn't need anyone to tell me.
My brother was gone.
I had killed him!

When the ambulance arrived the medical workers merely confirmed that fact.
The police arrived soon after, and I saw my mother and father crying intensely, while I was being taken away by them.
Now here I was trying to prove my innocence, if I even possessed such a thing.

"Well we found the note".
The detective continued.

"It was in your brother's car.
That's how he found you apparently".

Makes sense.
I was in such a hurry to leave I didn't bother checking if I had brought it with me.
Guess not.

"Your parents also confirmed, that this Samantha person does in fact exist".

"I'm not lying".
I pleaded my case.

"Doesn't seem like it.
But here's the weird thing.
The person all of you know as Samantha, doesn't appear anywhere inside our database".

I looked up.

"What are you talking about?"
I asked confused.

"I'm saying that's not her real name.
To make matters worse when we visited her appartment building, it seemed to have been cleared out.
When we asked the manager about her, he told us that he hadn't seen her leave and that she always paid in cash".

He handed me a few photos.

They were blurry and the person's face was always turned away, almost as if she didn't want to be seen.

"That's everything the cameras got, on your so called Samantha".

He sighed.

I looked around nervously.
This was obviously a joke right?
Some sort of prank?
But why would the police go this far?

"I know you must have a thousand questions right now kid.
But I can't even begin to answer them all".
The detective said.

"I'm as perplexed as you.
I don't understand what exactly happened.
But this is real.
Your brother's gone.
And your most vital witness dissapeared without a trace.
We've set up a search team for her, but so far they haven't come up with much".