Trust

I got out of Samantha's bed and began putting on my clothes. I turned around and was surprised to see her watching me.

"Where are you going Zack?"

"Home". I answered calmly.

"I obviously can't stay here. My parents would worry".

"Oh". She replied.

I could practically feel the tension in the room as we spoke.
Just a few minutes earlier we were both caught deeply in a lovers embrace.
And now we had no idea what to do going forward.

I finished dressing myself and reached for the door. I could feel it opening when I felt Samantha's arms around me. I turned around and she Kissed me. She pulled away and I could see tears in her eyes.

"Oh Zack". She started, her tone wavering.

"Do you hate me?"

The question caught me off guard. And for a moment I was speechless, as Samantha stared at me expectantly. I took a deep breath and kissed her back.

"No Samantha.
Quite the opposite.
I think that I might actually be in love with you".

She looked up at me and smiled.
"Good".

What a fool I was.
As if I, at the age of eighteen, knew anything about love.

But I would learn . . .

I had no idea at what time I had arrived home, and as I stood on the front porch I could see that the lights were on. No doubt my parents stayed up late waiting for us. I opened the door and my mother spoke first.

"Oh, hi Zack. Welcome home".

I was surprised by her calm tone, but chose to leave it be for the moment.

"Where's your brother?" Our father asked.

I wanted to tell him the truth right then and there. The truth about what was really happening between Trent and Samantha. About how he was causing her nothing but pain, and I clenched my teeth as I swallowed my words.

I knew even without anyone telling me.
It was not my story to tell.
If the truth came out it would be by Samantha herself.

"He went out with a couple of friends". I answered in short.

And my father gazed at me knowingly. For a second I pictured his gray/blue eyes unvealing everything. What happened or rather what was happening between my brother and Samantha. And more importantly; my role in everything.

"Okay then". He finally said, as he looked away. And I let out a short breath.

When I examined them both closely they didn't look worried or angry at all. Actually they didn't even look like they were waiting up on us. Our mother was preparing tea while my father was casually watching television.