Cheating

The guys and I got suspended the next day.

Which according to principal Meister, was his way of being lenient.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if he’d decided to expel us. And looking back at the wreckage of our impulsive decisions, I was simply thankful that he didn’t.

The boy’s toilet was a mess of broken doors, shattered mirrors and a couple of faint bloodstains here and there, and at one point, Meister even threatened to call the police.

Luckily Erec, who had long since returned to his former rational self, managed to calm him down before things got too serious.

It was actually Erec that came up with the idea of a suspension, on the condition that we pay for all the damage, and I was awestruck, as Meister nodded in agreement.
Erec was just full of surprises at that time.

Principal Meister also called in Kyle and his crew. They also got a suspension—although I would definitely have expelled them if I was in Meister’s shoes— upon agreeing to also help pay for the damage along with us.

In the end, everyone managed to keep their mouths shut and avoided telling Meister the true reasons for the fight. So what if we got expelled? A little extra vacation never hurt anybody. right?

My parents however, were definitely not as understanding.
Upon my arrival, I was met with a barrage of questions and criteria, and had to explain what happened, to them. Lies included! And after calming down they agreed to pay for everything. But not without making me work hard for it first! I had double chores for the entire week! But I didn't really care.

After all, I had something way better to look forward to. Or should I say someone . . .

Quite to the annoyance of my friends, Christina and I hung out every day during my suspension.
We talked a lot, discovering many secrets about one another and I found myself falling more and more in love with her each time.
Of course it wasn't all perfect, seeing as we had our disagreements from time to time.
But all in all I was pretty happy, and I could tell that she was too. But everything still seemed uncertain. I felt as if it could all change in the blink of an eye, and I could do nothing to stop it. Before I knew it my suspension was lifted and Christina and I had officially been dating for almost 2 months. I can still remember how happy I was on that day.

The day everything really did change and I really was useless to stop it. Or maybe, I simply didn’t want to stop it . . .

Christina and I had made plans that night. Her parents were out of town, and as an only child she would have the entire house to herself. We were planning to watch a movie together, and I could practically envision the two of us holding hands, and cuddling close to eachother without actually paying attention to the movie, when my phone began to vibrate in my pocket.

I grabbed it hastily, picturing Christina waiting impatiently for me to pick up, and I smiled.
Once I picked up however, my smile immediately gave way, to a heavy feeling of trepidation.

“Hello?”

I didn’t reply.

“Is anyone there? Zack It’s me. Please don’t hang up.”