Fresh Love?

The news of my confrontation with Kyle, spread like wildfire. Which was especially surprising since I was pretty sure we were alone that day—but I suppose, that’s high school.

And everyone had their own opinion . . .

“So?”

“What?” I asked Justin.

“Are the rumors true?” He continued.

I sighed and started reciting the line I had prepared just in case something like this happened.

“I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Yeah right,” Justin pushed on.

“Okay then,” Eric joined in the conversation. “Pretend you did, what was it like kissing Christina?”

I almost choked on my food. ‘The hell. Were the rumors really that accurate?’ 

“Like I said, I —”

“You can stop lying. You can lie to everyone else, but you can’t lie to us. Now start talking!” Justin threatened.

I looked at them both, wondering how they would react if they knew, that at one point, I had been lying to them, as much as I had been lying to everyone else in my life. It’s not that I couldn’t keep a secret—My sister, Rebecca, knows that’s not true!—I just despised having to. After a long moment of hesitation I finally gave in.

“Fine. The rumors are true.”

“I knew it,” Justin pronounced as he pushed back his chair, and rose to his feet. A lot of people in the cafeteria grew silent, and stared.

“Oh for God’s sake, ” Erec said, and I watched him pull Justin back down, into his seat.

“Okay okay,  I’ll be quite. Now tell us what happened,” Justin cried out, sounding a little bit agitated.

I looked around to see if anyone might be eavesdropping, and told them everything, once I felt in the clear.

“Whoah,” Justin said once I finished explaining.

“Yes indeed,” Erec concurred.

“My hero,” Justin teased in a shrill voice, and I crushed the urge to punch him, down.

“That’s really nice and all, and I’m sure you meant well, but have you thought about what’s going to happen next?” Erec asked me seriously.

“Well, in the beginning I did. But it’s been almost a week, and nothing’s happened yet.”

“Interesting choice of words. Nothing’s happened yet!

I gave him an understanding nod and changed the subject.

“Anyway, Christina and I haven’t spoken since. It’s almost like it never happened. So honestly I don’t know what to say.”