Hurtful Words

I wasn’t the only one tormented by the memories of Samantha. Her absence also had a huge impact on my brother, and shortly after they broke up, Trent started coming home a lot later than usual, reeking of alcohol. No doubt it was all a part of his efforts to drown away his sorrows. After a while he started doing it less and less and seemed to be doing okay. But I knew that secretly, he was still hurting, and longing to see Samantha again.

He wasn’t the only one . . .

And then it happened!

I was casually walking across the hallway alongside Justin and Erec, when I saw Christina, heading towards us. She was taking short quick strides, that made me question whether or not I wanted to stick around long enough to figure out why.

“Looks like Trouble’s heading our way,” Justin started.

“Well, that definitely looks like Zack’s department,” said Erec.

*   *   *

I had told the both of them about my coincidental run in with Christina at the party, trying to make it seem like no big deal, and Justin just shook his head furiously.

“Nope, no I don’t like it. You are not getting involved with Christina Black.

I eyed him dubiously.

“I thought you wanted the two of us to get together. Encouraged it even. You’re the one that dragged me to that party in first place,” I said.

“Oh come on, you’ve know me long enough, to know when I'm being serious. And that my friend, was not me being serious. I just figured we’d have some fun and you would actually end up enjoying yourself,” he exclaimed.

“Sure, if you can call us constantly trailing behind your sorry ass, in order to keep an eye on you for the rest of the night, fun,” I added bitterly.

Justin shrugged.

“I wasn’t that drunk.”

I dropped my head on the table heavily. “Justin, at one point you walked over to one of the girls at said party, and asked her if she would grant you permission, to start talking to her sister.”

“so?” He replied, obviously not remembering, that something like that, ever took place. “I was clearly being polite. I just don’t see what’s wrong with that.”

I shook my head. “She was standing in the corner by herself! She doesn’t even have a sister. You, were just seeing double!

“Oh,” he said then, his mouth hanging slightly open. “Sorry guys,” he tried apologizing. “Look on the bright side, at least the both of you can say, you were just keeping a handsome drunk company.”

I let out a sigh of exasperation. “Well, you’ re definitely one of those things.”

“Can we focus,” Justin started, clearly trying to change the subject. “This is about you, and your private therapy time with Christina.”