Rewound

A/N: New Story Announcement!

Haruno by Name, Hoshigaki by Blood is back!

... Sort of.

If you didn't already know, it's being rewritten as Hoshigaki, so check it out! <3

Sakura grew up in a world of rain and gray, never knowing what the sun looked like and always wondering why it was never there. When she asked her Papa, he laughed and patted her head and said that "God" had a bit of a complex. But he promised he'd show her the light one day when she was older and stronger and could fight with her own sword.

He promised.

::

Four days had passed since the siege.

The village was currently in the state of rebuilding and the Uchiha were trying to find out what exactly had been done to them and why Orochimaru had decided to attack them—with the Intelligence sector assisting in the investigation. A third of the shinobi force had been assigned to help with construction, but when Hiruzen dutifully informed them that Akasuna no Sasori saved his life, some were spared in researching the missing-nin's information, affiliation, and last places seen.

Taking in everything left a bitter taste in Kakashi's mouth as he weaved through the rebuilding in search of his students.

He tried the Uchiha compound first, the guards letting him by with reluctant grace. Tensions still ran high through the clan and he couldn't blame them, but it was his duty to check the status of his team.  But before he had the chance to step up to the main house, Fugaku met him at the end of the path and stopped him short.

"Sasuke isn't taking any visitors," he said. Kakashi narrowed his eyes.

"He's injured?"

"No," the clan head replied smoothly. "He's been barred from leaving the compound and seeing anyone outside the clan until the investigation is over. He won't be attending any training sessions until the end of the month, so your concern is unnecessary."

He eyed the man's jounin uniform.

"You may leave."

Kakashi didn't even get the chance to reply before Fugaku turned on his heel and disappeared into the house. It wouldn't be until later that Obito would somberly inform him that the true capacity of Sasuke's mangekyo had been awakened and he'd become a true prisoner in his own home against Itachi's and Mikoto's apparent displeasure in the situation.

Personally, he agreed with them— Sasuke didn't deserve what his father decided was best, but he had no say because clan politics would always be something outsiders could never be a part of.

He left the compound with an unsettling feeling slowly crawling up from deep in his gut. 

Next he tried the hospital where he knew for sure Naruto was healing from the Kyuubi's influence. Kakashi's lips curled downwards as he remembered the circumstances surrounding his transformation and berated himself for not getting the boy out of the stadium quick enough so he wouldn't get to see his step-dad in such a state.