Chapter Fourteen - The Price You Pay

Mikoto watched the girl lying in front of him, his heart aching. 'Aimi... If only I had been with you I could have protected you better...'

~ ~ ~

Yata's grip on his skateboard tightened as he steared and the ground. "Why..." he asked out loud to no one in particular. "Why the hell do we even have these powers if we can't even protect our family!!!" Yata yelled, tears of frustration falling from his upturned face.

~ ~ ~

Izumo leaned against his bar. He could hear Yata crying out in frustration while all he could do was stare at the spot where Aimi would normal sit at this time or the morning while he gave her speaking lessons. 'I'm sorry Aimi... I promised that everything would be alright... Please... Please be alright Aimi...' Izumo thought as tears threatened to fall from his eyes.

~ ~ ~

Dewa watched his friend as he struggled to breathe despite the breathing mask. "Hey." he said to Chitose's battered form, his voice breaking slightly. "You must have looked really cool to all the ladies back there..." Chitose moaned, his hands clenching and unclenching while another wave of aura washed through him. Dewa clasped his hands together, feeling useless as he watched his friend suffer. "Please, if there's a God or something out there... Please don't let Chitose die." he begged, tears falling from his face.

~ ~ ~

Tatara sat in the hallway, between the doors leading to Aimi and Chitose's rooms. He had various medical supplies next to him and his camera on his lap. "Aimi... Chitose... Heal up so I can make more family videos, okay?" he whispered.

~ ~ ~

Seri Awashima looked at the bar HOMRA. She wanted to enter, to ask if Aimi was okay. 'They won't let me in.' she thought bitterly. 'I'm a blue after all... We're enemy's...' Seri looked up at the window to Aimi's room. "Aimi..." she whispered "Be strong okay?" with that Seri walked away, trying to not look back as tears threatened to spill from her eyes.

~ ~ ~

Aimi slowly opened her eyes. Black mist swirled around her.

Aimi... I miss you Aimi...

"Who said that!" she said looking around desperately.

Aimi, why did you let that boy try to steal me away...

A figure stepped out of the black, a mixture of colours flying about in a breathtaking dance of death.

"Slate..."

He did well not to share our secret but you know he won't survive long. Should he die while still holding my power, this city will burn.

"I... What am I ment to do... Slate, tell me!"

Don't be afraid my child. You must take me back.

"Slate... Why me? For the first time in so long... My mind... I can think, I can remember! That boy... From my past, that was Mikoto wasn't it."

Yes... He was a man to protect others. Destined to become my red king. Protect him Aimi, his role will be critical in the days to come. Protect those I have chosen, Protect HOMRA.

"Amai!" she looked behind her too see a transparent Chitose, bright colours danced around him just as they did for Slate but where Slate's resembled and beautiful dance, the colours that surround Chitose were violent and seemed uncontrolled.

"Slate, I kept your secrets. You owe me." He said walking to stand next to Aimi. "So tell me, what would I have to do so that Aimi doesn't have to go back to being trapped as a child."

Aimi steared at Chitose. She hadn't realised just how deeply their link had been.

It's impossible...

"Don't give me that! There has to be a way, so just tell me!" he yelled "If you don't, I won't let Aimi take this power back."

Your whole city would burn... Slate said, his eyes narrowing.

"Chitose! Don't do this! You'll die!!!" Aimi begged

"Then our friend Slate better give me another option."

Slate watch Chitose for a moment before sighing....you would have to sacrifice your mind. Every memory, forgetting everyone you hold dear. Then there is a chance that you can hold enough of my power so allow Aimi to live somewhat normally.

Chitose hesitated before nodding "Deal." he said

"Chitose! Please, don't do this..." Aimi said crying.

"It's okay Aimi..." Chitose said petting her head gently "I want to do this. I want you to be able to live a happy life, and fall in love."

"Chitose..." Aimi sobbed, hugging Chitose tight as he stroked her back slowly.

Chitose, are you sure you want to do this? Should your memories recover you may loose control of my powers even if it is only part...

"I'm sure. Do it."

Very well...

~ ~ ~

Mikoto gently wiped the tears as they fell down Aimi's sleeping face. A moment latter he heard yelling coming from the room next door. The next moment, the door opened and Chitose walked in, his expression blank. Tatara and Dewa followed looking worried and confused.

"Chitose..." Mikoto said eyeing him carefully.

Chitose paused to look at him before turning to look at Aimi.

"I have to give a little back... Don't worry, she'll be okay." he said in what sounded like multiple voices as colours flew about him. "Mikoto, Tatara, Dewa... I really love HOMRA... Don't forget me okay?" he said with a grin before the colours rushed from his body to Aimi's. Colour pulsed back and forth before flashing brightly before disappearing. Chitose collapsed, and both Tatara and Dewa rushed to check him while Mikoto checked Aimi. 'She seems okay...'

"He's still breathing... But, what did he mean by that?" Tatara asked, well helping a very worried looking Dewa hold his friend.

"I don't know..." Mikoto said "Take him back to bed. Hopefully we can get some answers when he wakes up." 'what the hell is going on?' Mikoto thought.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about all the switching! I really wanted to show how everyone was taking what happened.

As always, don't forget to vote for your favourite pairing, and remember, you can vote for ANY Project K character, be they from the anime or manga once PER chapter!

Next chapter: "Blank Slate." As always, please let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Hinode out, Peace!