Chapter Six

"She's been out for a while, Niklaus... Maybe I should contact Bonnie." Elijah says quietly, his voice echoing across the room.

           "No, she's fine. She'll wake up any second now." Klaus? It really happened? I actually went through with the compulsion. Then I remembered everything Klaus had shown me. I was very surprised that he didn't hold anything back, especially his last memory of me. But maybe he wasn't such a monster, like everyone thought.

           My eyes flutter open and see Klaus and Elijah sitting across the room watching me. "Creeper much?" I ask and raise myself off the bed.

          Wait, bed? I thought we were in the living room. "So, do you remember?" Klaus asks as I walk over to them.

          I nod. "Yeah, why?"

           "Just makin' sure, love." He replies. I look over to Elijah who looks a bit guilty. I knew he would feel this way.

           "Oh, dear, Elijah. Please don't feel guilty. I understand why you did it, it's okay." He looks up and smiles a bit. "Well, I must be going, I believe I have a very worried Stefan to go find, and no doubt, I'll probably be chewed out, but what's new?" I start to walk down the stairs as Klaus catches up to me.

           "So, when will we get to finish your painting?"

           "Just tell me when and I'll be here."

          I stop at the front door as he thinks a moment. "This afternoon, right after lunch?"

           "Fine with me." He opens the door for me as I head toward my car. I look back at him, "Thanks for letting me remember, Klaus. You aren't as bad as you think."

           Now, off to what I dreaded most... Facing Stefan.

           I knew he wouldn't be too upset, he would just want to know why on earth I would let such a 'monster' into my head, but once I explained, I'm sure he would understand. He always did. As for Damon, he'd be quite the opposite. It wouldn't matter if I told him I was dying and it was my last wish, he wouldn't care. He would just blow up and tell me I'm a stupid, idiot, borderline, brain dead moron. End of story.

           I parked my car in the long driveway and started to enter the house when my phone went off. I checked it before going inside.

My offer still stands... Just tell me the word and Damon's gone.

           I chuckle, yeah, I forgot... He can tell what I'm thinking now.

Yes, I can and if you focus, you can do the same for me.

           I'll have to remember that for later... Before I can open the door, it opens for me. Revealing a very angry Damon. "Do you even realize what you've put us through? I tried to get Stefan to go back and rescue you, but no, he said it was your choice!" He mocks as I push past him and see Stefan at the top of the stairs.

          Can we talk somewhere without Damon? I ask telepathically.

           He nods and motions for me to come up.

           "No, no, no, I want to hear this too!" Damon starts to follow but I turn and stop him.

           "Don't even think about it! You probably already know what I'm going to say anyway! Think about it, Damon! Why would I stay over at the Mikaelson's? We went through with the compulsion! It's done and I remember everything! Since it's complete, Klaus and I can get into each other's mind and I would bet money that he's listening to this conversation right now, so if I were you, I'd back off. All I have to say is the word and you'll be gone for good. So don't push me today." I turn quickly and follow Stefan to his room.

           "So, it worked?" He asks without making eye contact.

           "Yes, it did." I turn my attention to Klaus. "I know you're listening, now please stop. Stefan and I need a minute." I mutter as I suddenly feel very empty inside. Stefan watches me a moment. "He's gone." I assure him.

           "Was it worth it?"

           I nod. "Yes, Klaus isn't what you think he is. He's not a monster. He just needs a friend... Someone other than his family."

           "That's a bit hard to believe, Grace..."

           "I know, I know, but trust me. He's not, he's the sweetest man I think I've ever known, besides you, of course." I joke.

           He chuckles. "Tell me this, what all did you see? I mean, what did it feel like?"

           "When Elijah showed me, it was kind of like clips of a movie. But with Klaus, it was just like I was remembering everything. Like something had blocked my memories for so long and then it was being lifted. I felt like I always knew they were there, I just couldn't see them, if that makes sense... He showed me something, that I honestly was expecting him to hide. He showed me his last memory of me."

           "When Elijah took your-"

           I nod. "Yes... I wasn't expecting to see it, I thought he might show me when he got more comfortable, but no. I saw it and it was kind of horrifying. I forgot it was just a memory for a minute, a part of me thought it was real. We were in this dungeon. We were chained to a chair and I think we were drugged, but I'm not sure. Everything was very hazy and then Elijah and Emily walked in..."

           "Emily Bennett?"

           I nod. "She was trying to get Elijah to change his mind, but he wouldn't. He kept saying he had to, it was in our best interest. Emily went over to Klaus and started a spell, he became a bit violent and tried to fight back, but he couldn't. Elijah compelled me and told me he was sorry and maybe one day I could forgive him. Eventually, everything was quiet and the last thing I saw was Klaus looking over at me saying, 'I love you and one day, he will pay for this... I will find you again, you have my word.' And then I woke up this morning."

           "What did Elijah say?"

           "Nothing... He was guilty and I told him I had forgiven him."

          "Has Klaus? That doesn't seem like the type of thing he would just let go."

          "That I don't know, but I plan on finding out today. Klaus and I have a date." I smirk as he shakes his head, grinning.

           "Really?"

           "Yep and I probably should go get ready." I head down the stairs and run into Damon. "Before you say anything, I know you were eavesdropping and I really don't care."

           "Just answer one thing for me."

           I roll my eyes. "What?"

           "Why him? Why did you have to pick the biggest, bad ass vampire on the planet? It's just not something you would do."

           "I didn't pick him, Damon. Nature did and I don't have a problem with him. I don't know why you care anyway."

           He sighs. "Come on, Grace. You know I wouldn't let anything bad happen to you."

           "I appreciate the thought, but drop it. I don't need protected. Now, why don't you go find Elena? Isn't she always the damsel in distress?"