Chapter Eleven

"You're gonna call Esther and say, 'I've been thinking about what you said and I have some questions... Could you meet me somewhere?' or something similar to that. Once you get her out in the open, Niklaus and I will take care of the rest." Elijah says as my eyes shift back to Klaus.

           "Wouldn't she know you were there? She is a witch, ya know."

           He shakes his head. "The bond hasn't completely died yet. She still can't see anything about me, so we should be fine, love. Now, call her."

           I hand Elijah my phone as he quickly types the number in and hands it back. It rings two or three times before Esther answers. "Grace? Is that you?"

           "Yes, I was hoping we could maybe go somewhere and talk? I've been thinking about what you said and I had a few things to ask you..."

           "Well, alright..." She hesitates a bit. "How about I come over there?"

           I knew she'd be unsure which is why I'd already thought of a backup. "I'd rather meet somewhere else... Elijah and Klaus aren't aware of this and I'd like to keep them out of it, if you don't mind."

           "Oh, of course. I understand, how about Central Park?"

          I look to Elijah and Klaus as they nod. "That's fine."

           "Great, I'll see you around noon?"

           "That's perfect, see you then." I hit the end button. "She just had to pick somewhere out in the open..."

           Elijah nods. "Of course, she wants to be sure that you aren't planning anything against her... But we can still take care of it. All you've got to do is get her to walk around the perimeter of the park. Once Niklaus and I see a good opportunity, we'll take it."

           This was going to be a very interesting day, that's for sure. I just wanted Esther dead but was afraid that it was going to be a little more difficult than we thought. She has to be slightly suspicious, but the real question is, is she suspicious enough to expect anything?

           For the next few hours, Klaus and I went out into the garden and worked on the painting. This was always my favorite part of the day, it was relaxing and he seemed to enjoy it as well. It was kind of like our bonding time, no pun intended.

           I was lost in thought when Klaus spoke up, "You're worried, love. Don't be."

           "I most certainly am not."

          He looks up from the painting, "I can still read your mind, sweetheart, and yes, you are."

           I sigh. "Maybe a little, but I'm sure everything will turn out just fine."

           "Of course it will. You just need to be thinking of something to keep Mother busy until Elijah and I come into the picture."

           "I know, but I am pretty good at improvisation, so I'm sure I'll be fine. Just do make it quick, eh?" I didn't mind talking to her, I just wanted to save Klaus as soon as possible.

           "Will do my best."

           Before long, it was time to go. I went to the park alone as Elijah and Klaus went through the woods and kept out of sight. God, I hoped this worked.

           It will, stop worrying. Elijah's voice appeared in my head.

           Relax, love. I thought you'd have more faith in me. Klaus adds.

           You have no idea how annoying that is... "Grace, you came." Esther's voice made me jump a little, but I quickly recovered from the sudden shock.

           "Of course, I told you I wanted to talk to you... Shall we walk?" I ask, nodding towards the path.

           She nods. "Of course. So what's your first question?"

           "Do you really believe in bonds?"

           She seemed surprised by my bluntness. "Oh, yes, it's nature's most powerful gift. Why? Don't you?"

           "Well, yes, but I don't understand why I can't read Klaus' mind. I mean, I can tell when he's in mine, but I can't get into his..."

           "Is he there now?"

           I lie. "No."

           "Well, reading minds is a little complicated... Especially since he's an original. Have you ever really tried?"

           I look at the ground nervously. "I know this sounds stupid, but I don't know how..."

           She smiles. "It requires a lot of focus, much like casting a spell. You have to believe you can do it. If you don't, it won't happen."

           "Does he have to be near me? Or can I do it no matter the distance?"

           She pauses. "At first, it's easier when you're close to him, then as time goes on, you can read each other's mind from across the world, it just depends on the bond's strength."

           Now. Elijah adds in my mind.

           I look up and see the forest on the left side of the path, they're gonna get her right here... "Okay, another question, is it possible to be bonded to two people?" She looks at me curiously just as a stake is shoved through her heart. She starts to turn grey...

           "It's... Very... Possible..." Were her last words. Elijah quickly throws her over his shoulder as we disappear into the forest.

           Back at the house, the Mikaelson children all watch as Elijah puts their mother to rest. None of them seemed sad, they knew that in order for them to continue living, she had to die, and they seemed to accept that.

           "Well, mission complete, I now declare this family get-together officially over." Klaus adds, opening the front door for his siblings.

           Rebekah responds. "What if we don't want to leave?"

           "Speak for yourself, sister." Finn adds as he and Kol exit the house.

           "You can stay if you wish, Rebekah. I'm sure Niklaus was just referring to our brothers." Elijah says glaring at Klaus.

           "Well, I think I'll leave you three alone... I'll see you guys later." I add and start to leave but Klaus stands in front of me.

           "Why?"

           "Well, I thought you may need some family time..."

           "I thought you moved in?" He asks, catching me off guard.

           I pause. "I thought that was just temporary..."

           He shakes his head. "No, no, I want you to live here forever."

           "For once in my life, I actually agree with my brother." Elijah adds.

           Move in? What about Stefan?