Chapter Seven

"So how did Stefan take the news?" Klaus asks as he casually looks up from the painting.

           I smile. "Quite well, actually. Thank you for giving us a moment alone."

           He pauses before continuing. "Did you feel something when I left?"

           "Kind of empty..." I reply as he smirks.

           "That's exactly how I've felt for the past few centuries... Now, about Damon, should I be worried?"

          I was quite confused. "Worried about what?"

           "He seems to still fancy you, my love. I'm sure you've noticed."

           "I assure you the feelings are definitely not mutual. The only reason I haven't let you kill him yet is because he's all Stefan has left. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't care. Damon is simply upset because I'm not interested in him anymore. He was always a ladies man, but I guess you already knew that. He used to ignore me until you showed up."

           "Ah, yes, he sees me as a threat, but I can't say I blame him." I chuckle at his remark. How could this man be so evil? He's sweet and caring. He can even crack a joke every now and then. "Very funny, sweetheart. You haven't seen me angry before and if you ever do, you'll see why they call me a monster."

          Crap, I forgot about the mind thing. "You've got to stop doing that."

           "I'm sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself..."

           After another hour of chit chat and painting, I bring up the sacred topic. "So, I was wondering..." I start but he already knew what I was about to say.

           "I figured that would come up..." He mumbles, without looking at me.

           "What? Read my mind again?"

           He shakes his head. "No, I could tell you've been acting a bit nervous this evening and I know why. You want to know if what I said to you about Elijah paying for what he did, was true."

           "Well, is it?"

           He sighs. "Yes and no. If it were up to me, I would dagger him this very second, but that would mean the possibility of losing you and that's something I'm not willing to risk."

           "Good to know... So, how much longer do I need to sit here?"

           He smiles. "You never were one for patience."

           "Hey, I have been very patient for the past hour or so."

           "Yes, you have... I suppose we could take a break." I stand in victory and stretch my muscles.

          Suddenly, I hear Elijah. "Niklaus! You need to see this!" Klaus' expression goes from calm and loving to serious in an instant. We head back into the house and find Elijah in the foyer with a few others.

           Rebekah, Kol, and Finn...

           Klaus' siblings.

           Klaus clenches his teeth. "I'm afraid I wasn't aware of this family gathering."

           "So, it is true, you really did find her..." Rebekah adds quickly, staring at me.

           "Don't jump to conclusions, Niklaus. They came to warn us." Elijah states, getting Klaus' attention.

           Klaus looks at him curiously. "About?"

           "Mother is coming... She's coming to kill us." Kol says quickly as Klaus looks back to Elijah.

           "That's impossible. I daggered her centuries ago. She's in the Pacific ocean."

           Rebekah responds. "Mother was a very strong witch, Nik. She had someone help her on the other side. She's coming and I'm afraid we don't know how to stop her."

           Esther? I remember her... She was in one of my memories. I met her the same night I met Klaus. She liked me, she always told me I was good for him. "Elijah, did she know that you whipped our memory?" I ask as he thinks a moment.

           "Yes, she was the one that told me Klaus couldn't handle his power yet. He killed her only a few months after that..."

           "So, she doesn't know that we found each other?"

           He smiles a bit, "No..."

           "I don't get it, someone please explain?" Finn asks.

           Klaus responds. "She wants to kill us, mostly me, because we became evil, something she never intended to create... But now that I have Grace, she'll see the good in us and maybe leave us be."

           Suddenly, the front door bursts open and a gust of wind blows inside. Klaus and Elijah quickly bolt in front of me protectively. We watch as a woman gracefully enters, Esther. "My children. I see you've all came together, just as I expected..." Her eyes suddenly flash to me. "Grace?"

           "We all know why you're here, Mother." Kol says quietly but she doesn't respond, she just glances from me to Klaus...

           "You've matured the bond..." She adds.

           Klaus smirks. "Yes, we have and you of all people should know, you can't hurt either of us. So, even if you did kill them, I would still be on the loose. And I may not be so kind..."

           She ignores Klaus' remarks and looks to Elijah. "When did this happen? I didn't see this in my visions..."

           "You couldn't see it because the bond matured last night. They're untouchable, Mother. You have no power over them." He responds.

           "Grace? May I speak with you alone?" Esther asks.

           "Absolutely not." Klaus adds, quickly.

           "My dear son, I'm glad to see that you care for her wellbeing but you know I cannot harm her. I just want to talk to her is all. Just five minutes is all I ask. Then, I'll leave."

           "It's okay, I'll talk to her." I walk around Klaus and Elijah and follow Esther outside. She closes the door and looks at me with a smile.

           "You and I always got along, Grace... I always thought you were an angel sent from heaven. You make my son good. Something I would have never thought could happen. But I must know one thing..."

           I nod. "Of course."

           "I've been gone a very long time, but that doesn't mean I didn't keep tabs on my children. I had many friends on the other side, they always gave me daily reports and I must say, the worst was always from Klaus. They would give me gruesome details on things he had done and sometimes they would show me. I couldn't believe my son could be so evil, he didn't used to be that way. I realize now, that maybe telling Elijah to compel you two was wrong. Maybe Klaus wouldn't have grown up into what he is today, but I made that mistake and now I wish to fix it. There is always a back door to every spell, even nature's own... I can make the bond die, it may kill me in the process, but I can and will if you tell me that my son hasn't changed... Do you think you can save him?"

           "I think I already have... He's nothing like everyone says he is." Esther watches me another minute before disappearing with the wind. In an instant, Klaus and Elijah are at my side.

           "If I didn't know better, I'd say that was a threat." Elijah adds.