Chapter Ten

How can this be possible? I'm supposed to be bonded to Klaus, he's supposed to be my soul mate, not Elijah. He's my best friend... Why does everything have to be so complicated with me? Why can't I just be a normal vampire?

           "What happens when his bond dies?" Elijah asks.

           "He'll die."

           "What? No! He can't die, he's immortal!" I argue as Emily looks on with a saddened expression.

           "Grace, he won't die from the bond, literally... He'll die emotionally from being heart broken. I can see the future, much like Esther... Esther knew you and Klaus didn't have the bond, she just tricked you so she could have more time to figure out how to kill Klaus. You have a few days to kill Esther before the bond completely dies. If you do this before time runs out, Klaus can still be saved..." Suddenly, Emily looks startled, she whispers something, then disappears.

           I hear a distinct growl from behind me. Elijah and I quickly turn to see Klaus and he looks very upset. He turns and runs off into the woods. I hear a wolf howl as I look back to Elijah. "I'm guessing he heard what she said..."

           "That would be a good speculation..." I sigh and take off after him. "I wouldn't do that if I were you! He won't be very loving, Grace."

           "I'm not afraid of him! I will return to the house with Klaus!" I add and run off into the woods. I rely on my instinct to follow him. It only takes me a few minutes to find his wolf form near the old Lockwood mansion.

           He quickly notices me and starts to run off into the darkened forest.

           "Klaus! I'm not leaving until you come back here and talk to me! I have a ton of patience, I could sit here for at least a century!" I yell and sit down on a fallen log.

           It stays quiet for a little while. All you can hear are the birds chirping and the wind rustling the leaves of the trees. It's kind of peaceful. "Wouldn't that be a bit boring? I mean, there isn't anything here to keep your attention." Klaus emerges from the thick line of trees. He walks over and sits down next to me.

           "Yeah, well, I didn't figure you'd keep me waiting that long... So, how'd you know where I was?"

           "Was it really that hard to figure out, love? You showed quite a bit of interest in Emily earlier... Then when you said you wanted to talk to Elijah, I kind of put things together."

          "Did you hear everything she said?" He nodded. "Then you shouldn't be upset." I add bluntly.

           He clenches his jaw. "Grace, our bond is dying and my brother's isn't. How could I not be a little upset?"

           "But Emily said all we have to do is kill Esther."

           "She didn't say that would save the bond, she said it would save me."

           "Exactly. We can worry about the bond later, for now, let's get rid of your mother, so we can actually have a chance of saving it."

          "How can you be so sure of yourself?"

          I shook my head. "I'm not... I'm sure of you."

           "Why on earth would you believe in me?"

           I roll my eyes and stand. "Because I know you, I trust you, and I know we can fix this. I'm positive." I walk back into the woods and head back to the Mikaelson's. I told Elijah I would return with Klaus and I knew he would follow me.

 I told Elijah I would return with Klaus and I knew he would follow me

          I was only a few minutes away when he appeared beside of me. "Alright, fine. We'll finish this tomorrow. We'll just need to come up with a plan. I'll have to call her out then I'll stake her... Again."

           "What if I do it?"

           "What?"

           "Well, she's gonna be very suspicious of you, so if I tell her I have some questions for her, she won't suspect a thing."

           "Or, you could distract her while I stake her... Yes, I believe I like that idea better."

           "Fine, whatever floats your boat." I add as we walk up on the house. "Promise me one thing?"

           He glares. "I know, I know, don't kill my brother. I was hoping you wouldn't mention that."

           "Why is that?"

           "Because if you didn't mention it, I could stake him and not feel guilty, but now, I'll have to keep my word."

           I smile. "Good."

           After filling Elijah in on what was going on, Klaus showed me to my new room. Granted, I didn't plan on staying long, but he said it would always be my room. He left me to settle in and I took this time to call Stefan and explain why I wouldn't be coming home.

           I didn't bother to tell him about the bond with Elijah, I just told him that Esther had returned and we needed to take care of her. He knew I was hiding something but he left it at that.

           After that lovely conversation, I tried to get some rest, but did that happen? No. My mind wouldn't rest until Esther was dead.