Chapter Eight

"Just answer the question, Bonnie! Is it possible? Can she kill the bond?" Klaus asks, growing more and more impatient by the second.

           Bonnie stutters. "I-I don't know... I've never heard of it but that doesn't mean it's impossible. What she said was true, every spell has a back door, but I'm afraid if she finds one, it would require too much power to complete."

           "Is there a way you can find out?" Elijah asks as she simply nods then looks to me.

           "We'll need to go to the witch house... But I'll need you and Klaus so I can summon the bond." Klaus agrees to follow along and soon we arrive at the old, run down mansion in the middle of the woods. I have to admit, I never liked this place. It seems as if every time I was here, something bad happened. I really hope that isn't a sign...

           "Everything will be fine, love." Klaus mutters as we head inside. We follow Bonnie into the basement as the candles start to burn.

          She walks over to her grimoire and quickly flips through the pages. "I only know of one person that would know the answer to this... Grams." She was going to contact her grandmother, Sheila. She was a very powerful witch, but also very fair and caring. It's a shame she passed on at such an early age. "Just give me a second to make contact." She closes her eyes and starts muttering something in Latin. Klaus and I stand together in the corner of the room as the candles begin to flicker.

           A ghostly figure suddenly appears and hugs Bonnie, "Bonnie? I feel as if this is urgent?"

           "It is... I'm guessing you already know about them..." She says, nodding toward us.

           Sheila turns and smiles. "Oh yes, you two are certainly all the gossip on the other side."

           "Well, here's the thing... Klaus' mother is back and she's trying to kill Klaus and his siblings. I need to know if it's possible and if it is, how do I stop her?"

          "She can't kill them, well, she can, but not Klaus, he's bonded."

           "Well, that's what we thought but Esther said that there was always a back door to every spell and she said she could find a way to make the bond die and kill Klaus, even if it killed her."

           Sheila grimaces. "Sounds like Esther, that's for sure..."

           "So, can she? Can she kill him and break the bond?" I ask as she turns to me.

          "I'm afraid nothing is ever impossible but she is right, it would kill her to break the bond. And knowing Esther, she'd do anything to get her way."

           "So even if she did, she couldn't kill Klaus because she would be dead, right?" Bonnie asks.

          She shakes her head. "No... She wouldn't have to kill him because once the bond is broken, it dies, therefore Klaus and Grace would die with it."

           Well, that was certainly uncalled for, wasn't it? "Is it a spell?"

           She nods. "Yes, but it would require her to get you two a part somehow. When you two are close to each other, the bond is more powerful, which makes it nearly impossible to break."

           "Well, that's an easy fix, we'll just have to play a little game until we can figure out how to kill my mother." Klaus adds, smirking.

           "Game?" I ask.

           He smiles. "Oh, yes, you'll just have to be my little shadow for a while."

           "That could work, but how are you going to kill Esther?" Bonnie asks.

          Klaus just laughs. "I've done it before, I just have to do it again... I'll, of course, have to make sure it actually works this time."

          "I have to go..." Sheila says suddenly as she begins to fade away. "But I warn you, Klaus, what you and Grace have is very rare... Don't ruin that." Then she's gone.

           "Well, that was interesting... Guess we'd better get back to the house..." I add and start to walk up the stairs.

          "You really don't like this place, do you?" Klaus chuckles as he and Bonnie follow.

           "No, I don't and I'd rather chit chat outside." Once we're a few yards away, I stop and let Klaus and Bonnie catch up. I turn back and glance at the house. There's a white figure standing in the upstairs window. What in the heck is that?

           I look closer and make out a face... Emily? She's just staring at me with a blank expression. Klaus notices my sudden shock and looks back at the house. "What is it?"

           "You don't see her?" I ask without looking away from Emily.

           "See who?"

           "Bonnie, do you see it?" She looks at me curiously, then back to the window.

           "No, who do you see?"

           I pause. "Emily." I watch the window closely, she motions for me to come back in, then disappears. "She wants me to go back inside..."

           "Don't!" Bonnie urges.

           I look at her in surprise. "Why? She apparently wants something?"

           "Trust me, it's never good when you see a witch's ghost. Especially when you're the only one that can see her."

           "Why is that?" Klaus asks.

           "It means they have a message for you and a lot of times, that message is enchanted by something on the other side."

           "Which means?"

           "It could be enchanted by anything... Sometimes the witch wants to be human again, so it'll link itself to someone on earth, so it can live... There's all kinds of things it could be, but promise me you won't go back in there. Emily always brings trouble..."

           I don't answer at first, I can't help it. I'm just so curious.

           "Curiosity killed the cat, sweetheart." Klaus mutters.

           I rolled my eyes. "Funny, very funny."

           "Grace, promise me." Bonnie says again.

           I give in. "Fine, fine, I promise." I turn and walk back toward the Mikaelson's. I'm sure Elijah would be so thrilled to hear the news. We just need to catch Esther when she least expects it... I'm sure Klaus can do it, he's been killing people for centuries.

           What I'm more worried about is telling Stefan and Damon that I'll be staying with Klaus for a little while. Stefan definitely wouldn't like the idea, but Damon would be the one to throw a tantrum and that was something I just didn't have time to deal with right now.