Two

Thanks to Summer when I walk down the halls everyone sees me like they see her, no one actually pays attention to me. My few friends run in the same crowd as Summer and I, I guess you'd say. No one saw what I saw in Summer, I thought even though she's cold to the world she just needed someone to get her, I thought I got her to trust me and I was prepared to be everything for her, but in the end I was wrong. Summer was never who I thought, she used me to make herself look good and I get laughed at because I'm the guy she drags around.

We sit on our lunch table outside, everyone's laughing and having fun but it wasn't like that for me. Until today I never actually realized how many looks we get, people sitting at different tables pointing and glaring, how have I never noticed that?

I get up to walk away "where are you going?" Summer grabs my arm

"I feel weird I need some air"

"Babe we're outside"

Yeah I need some air away from all of you "I know, I'll be right back" I walk away.

As I'm walking to nowhere "are you ok?" I hear behind me

I turn to Jax "no" I tell the truth "have you ever noticed how much people stare at us?" I move closer whispering

"Perks of being popular?" He smiles

"This is a perk?"

"What's up with you?"

"Nothing just needed to get away from that"

"Well where are you going?"

"Butternut"

"Come on I'll walk with you." We start to walk "what's stopping you from breaking up with Summer?" Jax asks

"Umm everything, and you know what sucks I'm not even worried about how she'll be towards me or react about it I'm just worried about how she's going to take it out on everyone else."

"Including me"

"Exactly you know how she gets about things."

We get to the back of the school on a field "you're the only person I know that likes to hangout under this tree"

"It's so much better than being over there, and best part is Summer hates it back here so she never come with me"

We sit under Butternut the tree "so what are you gonna do?" Jax turns to me

"Why are you so interested all of a sudden?" Jax has never said more than two words to me since Summer and I got together, but lately he's been talking to me a lot "I'm pretty sure you hated me"

"I never hated you Mitch, I just knew that you and summer were never right for each other and no matter how much I warned her she never listened"

"You warned her about me?"

"No, not directly. I warned her that you were never one of us, but that's what she likes about you, you didn't care as much and she needed someone who wouldn't focus on themselves as much as they would focus on her."

"You're telling me what I already know"

"If you don't break up with her you're stuck"

"If I do break up with her I'm fucked" no easy way out for me.

Jax and I hang out under the tree until lunch is over, I stand up then lend him a hand pulling him up "I can talk to her for you, if you want"

"I have to do this on my own, don't want anyone to get caught in her crossfire"

"Suit yourself" he walks back inside the school.

On my way to class I feel Summer's hand gripping mines as I'm walking "hey"

"Hey babe" she pecks me on the cheek "so I was thinking after school you and I could head to the mall, I'm in desperate need of a new pair of heels"

"I can't"

"Why not?" she lets go of my hand and stops walking

"Because I have to keep an eye on Liv my parents are gonna be working late"

"God why does your annoying little sister always have to ruin our fun?" I feel a bitch fit coming on

"Why don't you just come over instead? We can hang out and watch movies"

"We always do that! Mitch I want to go to the mall!" She raises her voice

"Chill alright I said I can't" she rolls her eyes turning away from me "I have to go to class"

I turn to continue walking "don't walk away from me Mitchell!" She grabs my shoulder "I said I wanted to go to the mall!"

"Then go Summer! I'm not stopping you!" I finally raise my voice

She gasps and everyone starts to notice "I can't believe how you're talking to me right now" you deserve it "all I want is to go to the mall..." She starts to frown, oh god she's gonna cry. Next will be the why don't you love me? tear followed by some more obnoxious yelling "why don't you love me Mitch?!" See?

"Calm down Summer, we literally go to the mall every fucking day"

"FORGET IT! I'LL GO BY MYSELF!" Literally what I suggested "IT'S OBVIOUS I HAVE AN INCOMPETENT, WORTHLESS BOYFRIEND UNABLE TO PLEASE ME!" She yells really loud getting everyone's attention then storming away.

My life ladies and gentlemen.

•—•

"Mitch!" I hear Liv calling behind me as I leave, I turn and wait for her. She catches up "oh my god" she stops in front of me catching her breath "why... Did... I... Run?" She says between breaths

"What Liv? I'm leaving"

"I need a ride home, I missed the bus"

"I'm not going home right now Liv" I keep walking

"Mitch come on! Do you want me to walk home? In this weather?"

"It's California, the weather's always nice"

"What's up your butt?"

"Nothing, hurry up and let's go before I change my mind." Getting in the car I drop Liv home and drive away. Obviously watching Liv was a lie I just can't stand Summer and her friends at the mall.

As I'm driving around I spot Jax walking, pulling up to him I roll down my window "hey!" I stop him

"Hi" he comes up to the window

"Where are you going?"

"Work"

"Where do you work?"

"Elmore Country club"

"I can take you come on" he climbs in and buckles up  "I didn't know you have a job"

"The things I like are expensive and my credit cards stopped paying themselves" I smile at his joke "where are you going?"

"Nowhere just needed to drive for a bit"

"You know what I like to do when I need to think? Drive up to the valley, there are these rocks up there you can sit on that overlooks the city, it's really peaceful"

"I'll have to check that out, thanks."

"This is me" I pull up to the club "thanks for the ride"

"Anytime" we smile at each other and he leaves.