Twenty

"He hates me right?" Jessie sits in the passenger seat as I drive "I mean I'm glad we waited for his dad to get there before we left but he didn't look so good. What happened out there?"

"A lot." The rest of the ride is quite when Jessie realizes that I don't want to answer any of her questions. "Im sorry tonight sucked so bad"

"Me too" getting out of the car I walk her to her front door "Mitch you're an amazing guy"

"Oh no" this never ends well for me, every time I hear the words Mitch you're an amazing guy bad shit is about to happen

"No listen! I want to be with you so bad"

"I want to be with you too"

"I don't think you know that for sure, I know I want you Mitch but I also know you're unavailable"

"Jessie come on"

"We don't want the same things Mitch" she kisses me "take care of yourself alright sometimes I think you forget to think about yourself when you're out saving others"

"Ok" she walks in leaving me out there.

•—•

I'm driving home and the closer I got the more wrong it felt to go home. Turning around I drive as fast as I can, I don't know what I'm doing I never do, but tonight changed a lot for me.

Getting out of the car without taking my keys out I stand in front of his house trying to figure out which window is his. Picking up a hand full of pebbles I start to toss them at his window to get his attention.

After a while he finally looks out of the window and sees me, I wave him to come down. Walking back to the front of his house I wait "Mitch what are you-" he walks out

"I'm unavailable!" I cut him off

"I know you're happy with Jessie I get it" he walks outside and shuts the door

"No that's what Jessie said to me while she was breaking up with me tonight"

"She broke up with you?" He tries to act worried

"Are you smiling right now?"

"No" he tries to hide his smile

"You're smiling!"

He starts to laugh "I'm not I swear!" I start to poke and tease him as we laugh. As we're playing around he hugs me "Mitch I'm so sorry about everything"

"It's ok" we let go and sit on the steps of his porch

"I made such a mess of everything, I shouldn't have reacted the way I did. I don't know if it was you telling me you'll stop caring about me or seeing you and Jessie together really fucked me up"

"This is my fault too I wasn't thinking when I brought her to the party... I'm sorry too"

"You have nothing to be sorry about trust me I'm the drama queen who couldn't handle himself. Summer's probably never going to forgive me"

"I can talk to her if you want"

"No I have to talk to her and try to fix this on my own, thanks for taking the blame for the window by the way even when I'm mad at you you're saving me"

"Figured if anyone is gonna get slapped with that bill I'd rather it be me than you"

Dropping his head and burying his face in his hands "you can't do shit like that Mitch! It'll make it even harder to get over you"

"Oh sorry I'll stop"

"It's not your fault, you can't help being amazing"

"You're amazing too Jax I mean I don't know anyone who'd keep it together after losing everything like you did, you're a great friend and despite the circumstances we can still sit out here at 1 am and just talk. I don't want to lose you Jax"

"Mitch don't do that! Don't say things like that and expect me not to fall for you"

"I can stop?" I smile

He smiles back "oh no you can keep telling me nice things about myself, I love to hear those" he laughs.

"I should really head home it's pretty late"

"Yeah. I'll talk to you later, probably gonna go to Summer's and offer to clean up maybe she'll forgive me"

"You don't need Summer"

"She's my best friend I need her to forgive me"

"Ok well get back inside and get some rest I'll see you" I get up

"Alright good night"

He gets up and we move in to hug each other, every position we move in to hug never feels right so we stop trying "good night" I walk away and he stands there watching as I get into the car and pull away.

•—•

"Here" Summer throws a piece of paper at me while I sit at one of the outside table waiting for class to start "bill for my broken window"

"This is starting to be a thing between us, you shoving pieces of paper in my face"

"Yeah?! Well maybe if-" her eyes trail from me to behind me "well if it isn't my best friend" I turn to see Jax walking towards us "it's a little too early for you to be kissing Mitch's ass already, don't you think?" the smirk on Summer's face is probably killing him

"Summer" he says stoping at the table

"I'm gonna go. Oh and Jax maybe when I'm done with Cam you can follow him around too" she walks away.

Dropping himself at the table Jax Lays his head down "I'm guessing she's still not talking to you"

"What gave it away her bitching attitude?" Using his arms as pillows he lays on them and faces me "what am I going to do Mitch? If she's freezing me out, they all will"

"Let me talk to her I can help you. I'll tell her that I told you I don't feel the same way"

He quickly sits up "oh she'll just love that!" His tone sounds upsetting as he gets up from the table and walks away.

"What'd I say?" I call out to him as he walks away from me.

Without doing much I manage to get in between best friends, it's my job to fix this and get Jax his friend back, but Summer is a stubborn person who never forgives easily so this is going to be fun, not.