Eight

On a normal Saturday Summer and I would be driving up to The Hills so she and Jax can shop while I walk behind them as if I don't exist, but the past few Saturdays I've been single all I do is stay at home or go to the gym. Not that I'm complaining its just I'm becoming who I used to be before Summer, never had anything better to do, and always just stayed at home play video games and work out till its time to sleep.

Liv and her 2 friends from school are in her room and I'm sitting on my bed on my phone with no one to text, am I the only one like that?

As I scroll up and down pretending to be doing anything I hear the doorbell, I'm in no mood to get it so I let Liv answer. The bell goes off again, she's ignoring it like I am, then the bells goes off a bunch of times "what the hell!" I roll out of bed and walk out of my room rushing to it. Swinging the door open I automatically regret it, Summer standing in front of me with a devious smirk on her face, and Jax behind her not looking at me at all "what do you want?" I keep a mean mug

"Is that how you talk to your guests Mitchell?"

"What do you want Summer?"

"Invite us in" still with the same smile on her face

"I don't think so, tell me why you're here or I'm shutting the door"

"Get out of our way" she pushes me and they walk in.

"Why are you here?"

"I've been trying to figure it out all last night, why is my ex boyfriend dragging my best friend out of my party? Doesn't really make sense does it? Jax won't tell me anything so I need you to explain it to me"

I chuckle "you know what's funny? Jax is your friend so why wouldn't you help him?"

"I was taking care of him"

"Oh right! I'm sorry you're completely right! Him lying in a corner and people hovering over him not ever bothering to look at him is you taking care of him"

"First of all never show up to my house uninvited ever again, if something is wrong with Jax I'll take care of it"

"I could give two shits about being in your house Summer! My sister was there, still letting that go by the way. You're fucking lucky!" I move closer to her "don't you ever think it's ok to fuck with my sister, if you don't want to piss me off stay away from Liv. Got it?" She rolls her eyes "GOT IT?!" I yell

She flinches a bit "fine whatever. Anyways none of that is why I'm here, you took Jax from my party last night and he won't tell me where he's been all night"

"Not my problem"

"Somebody better tell me something!" Jax stands there quiet looking away from us. I can't tell if he wants her to know or not, but it won't come from me. I look over at him and nothing "seriously?" She looks back and forth at us

"I took him home" I lie

"Don't lie to me! I went there this morning and he was not there!"

"I don't care" she stands there staring back and forth at Jax and I and I've had enough. Walking to the front door I open it "Summer please get out of my house" I stand at the door holding it open to show her how serious I am

"Whatever" she walks towards it and Jax follows behind her "oh no" she stops him "you stay here since you guys are such good friends now" she leaves and I shut the door.

I turn to Jax "I don't get it"

"I'm so sorry"

"Why are you friends with her, I mean you practically pushed me to break up with her and yet you don't seem to want to get away from her"

"She's my best friend"

"Summer's her own best friend and the sooner you realize that the better"

"We're not all like you Mitch, I can't just leave her"

"Are you kidding me?!" I ask surprised

"I need her"

"For what?! What can Summer give you? Besides popularity" his eyes move from mine and it hits me "that's what you want?" Of course it is "popularity?"

"Don't make it sound like I'm some kind of monster, everyone wants attention Mitch"

"Do you know what people say about you? About all of you? And what sucks is the shit being said applies to you too but only by association, you're not like them Jax"

"At least I'm being talked about"

"Do you hear yourself right now?"

"You're judging me"

"It's kind of hard not to" he walks pass me heading for the door "wait wait" I stop him "I didn't mean that I'm sorry"

Taking my hand he takes us to the couch and we sit "Last year my parents lost everything and I was on the verge of dropping out of school. I had to sell my car, get a job, and everything changed, but Summer was there for me. I didn't have anyone but her, she promised to keep my secret and not treat me any different. I owe her everything Mitch"

"I didn't know"

"No one knew, except for Summer"

"I'm sorry Jax"

He smiles "not your fault" he sighs loudly as if some weight was being lifted off of his shoulders "you're right I'm not like them and I don't have to be, I know who Summer is and I'm used to her shit by now so it doesn't bother me"

"Well we're not all like you" he laughs. I don't know why he told me but I'm kinda glad he did. I think Jax and I could be really good friends.

"I should go" he stands up "and don't worry I'll tell Summer everything"

"Don't, I like to see her sweat" I walk him to the front door, we stop at the door "Jax I am here if you need, a ride, or someone to talk to"

"Thank you Mitch" he hugs me.

As we're hugging I hear someone whisper "why is your brother hugging Jax Wenson?"

We let go and turn to see Liv and her friends standing at the stairs watching us "hey Liv and Liv's friends" I say

They stand there quite still staring at us. Walking towards the stairs Jax grabs Liv's hand "you're Liv right?" She nods yes unable to answer "Mitch told me what you guys did for me and I never got a chance to say thank you, so thank you"

A giant smile grows on her face "oh my god you're so welcome!" I guess this is different for them since Jax, Summer and them don't really socialize with 9th graders.

He lets go of her hand "do you need something?" I ask her

"Yeah!" She snaps out of it "I was gonna ask if you could drive us to the mall"

"I don't want to"

"Come on! Please Mitch? You owe me!" I really do

"Fine"

"You're awesome, thanks!" They run back up to her room

"Wanna go to the mall?" I turn to Jax "you wouldn't let me get stuck with a bunch of niners at the mall by myself, would you?" He smiles "you're not that cruel"

"Fine! But only because you begged."