Thirty-nine

"Mitch has friends now" Liv opens her big mouth as we eat breakfast

"Shut up Liv!"

"Friends?" My mom turns to me smiling

"I was just playing football with some guys yesterday it's not a big deal"

"That is a big deal honey you're making friends, isn't that great Gus?" Yeah because making friends is gonna do me a great deal as a senior in high school.

"Good for you kid" my dad says then keeps eating

"Thanks... I'm gonna go finish getting ready. Thanks for breakfast mom" I put my plate in the sink and walk up to my room shutting the door.

I put my belt on when my mom walks in "hey honey"

"Hey"

She shuts the door and watches as I loop my belt around my waist "I'm so happy you're making friends"

"Stop saying making friends mom it was just a football game"

"Yeah and you got invited to a party tonight"

"A party for Jax who's mad at me because I told him he doesn't need to party"

"Sounds like it's going to be fun"

"So fun" I reply sarcastically. Sitting in my bed I put my shoes on

"I'm sorry you guys are fighting"

"It's not serious don't worry" I stand up and grab my bag "I'll see you later." Leaving the house I get in my car but before I pull off I text Summer Should I pick him up?

Starting the car and putting on my seatbelt Summer replies I got him and I pull out of the drive way.

•—•

"Hey man fun game yesterday" one of Summer's boyfriend's friend says to me as I walk into school

"Yeah thanks"

"The guys and I were gonna meet up at Cam's a few hours before the party tonight and pregame if you're down"

"Okay?"

"So are you down?" Don't even know what I'm being asked to be down with but who gives a fuck right? If I'm gonna spend my night watching Jax I might need a distraction

"Yeah why not"

"Cool... we're meeting up 'round 7... sound good?"

"Yeah"

"Alright man later" He walks away.

I walk away confused as to what the fuck just happened? "What was that?" Summer walks up to me smiling as I walk

"Billy just invited me to pregame at Cam's house tonight before the party"

"Wow that's new for you" she bumps my shoulder "are you gonna go?"

"Yeah figured why the hell not." Looking around her "where's Jax?"

"He ran that way when we walked in and he saw you" she point to the opposite direction of where we're walking

"How long does he think he can keep avoiding me?"

"Till you apologize"

I scoff "that's not happening so..."

"That's your problem, it's both of your problems, Jax thinks he's right so he's not gonna apologize, and you think you're right so you won't apologize either."