Seventeen

"I had so much fun today" Jessie and I stand in front of her house

"Yeah me too"

"Will I hear from you again?"

"I promise you will" she smiles moving closer, moving closer to me she kisses me. Reaching her arms around my neck she moves closer till are fronts are practically touching, our lips still on each other's. "What was that for?" I ask when she pulls away

"I don't know, maybe something to remind you to call me"

"Can't forget now, can I?" she laughs and waves to me then walks in.

It's like 10 so I should probably head home. Today was what I needed to get my mind off butternut, I got to see it one last time and I'm gonna be ok. I drive heading home and my phone starts to ring "call from Summer" the monitor says

Pushing a button on my steering wheel I answer "yes Summer"

"Mitch! Listen I need you to do something!" She says really fast

"Alright slow down and tell me"

"It's Jax! He's stuck on Magnolia Blvd! His dad's car broke down, he called me to come help but I'm too far I won't make it in time. Where are you?"

"Leaving Tarzana"

"Oh good! You're only like 20 minutes away from him can you go get him please?!"

"Yeah send me his location."

He's probably so scared, his car broke down in such a bad place. Driving as fast as I can and trying to not go over the speed limit I finally get to him. Driving down the boulevard I drive slow trying to find his dad's blue Toyota. Finding him I park my car behind his and rush to the window. Knocking on it he practically jumps out of his seat "please don't hurt me!" He covers his face

"Jax it's me!" I bend showing my face behind his window

"Oh my god Mitch!" He jumps out of the car and onto my chest "thank god! I was so scared"

"You're ok now" I try to comfort him "tell me what happened"

Letting go "I was on my way home and the car just stopped"

"Why are you out so late alone Jax?"

"It's 10pm and I can do whatever I want"

"That's not what I meant"

"How'd you even know I was here?"

"Summer called saying she was too far to get to you"

"You must have been closed by"

"I was"

He scoffs "let me guess, Jessie? Why were you two at school anyways? You don't even show up the whole day then when it's time to leave I see you guys running out"

"We wanted to hang out under Butternut one last time before they cut it down"

"You told her about Butternut?"

"Yeah, so?"

Avoiding the rest of the conversation he says "look I called a tow truck who should be here soon so you can go if you have somewhere better to be"

"Why would I leave you here Jax?"

"I don't know to be with your new girlfriend"

"You sound like Summer, are you jealous?"

"Excuse me? Why would I be jealous?"

I'm such an idiot! Of course he's acting like this because he's mad about yesterday "is this about yesterday?" Turning away from me he walks to the sidewalk sitting at the curb. Walking to him I sit next to him, resting his chin on his knees he keeps his eyes forward "I'm sorry Jax"

"You yelled at me" his voice gets sad

"I know I was in a bad place, I didn't mean it"

"Yeah you did, you told me to stop following you and to leave you alone so that's what I've been trying to do"

"Is that why you didn't call me when you got stuck here?" He nods "I was mad Jax but never at you"

"It's not just that Mitch, I thought we were close but the way you looked at me really hit me"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I've been holding back on so much and I don't think I can anymore"

"I'm so confused right now"

He turns to me "I'm falling in love with you Mitch"

I search his eyes to make sure he's joking but nothing, no sike, or April fools he said it and he meant it "Jax..."

"No don't say anything" he gets up and I get up too "it's not your fault I just couldn't help it, you're amazing Mitch and you don't even know it. You're the first guy to ever protect me as much as you do and every time something was wrong you just knew. I'm sorry I know I'm ruining our friendship by telling you this and maybe that's a good thing because I don't think I can be friends with you anymore Mitch, and yesterday helped me see that clearly. If you felt for me what I feel for you you wouldn't have yelled at me the way you did"

"Jax why are you telling me this?"

"Because I can't take it anymore!" He exclaims "I can't take every time you do something nice for me or come to my rescue I can't truly show you how you make me feel, I can't kiss you, or express myself in anyway without freaking you out" I'm freaking out right now but I'm trying to stay calm "if you knew how I felt about you Mitch you'd leave a long time ago."

Not knowing what to say I just stand there staring at him as he confesses all of this to me. Summer was right, that's the first time I've ever said those words but she was, she tried to warn me but I figured Jax couldn't possibly have feelings for me he knows I'm not gay. As we stand there the tow truck pulls up "tow truck for Jax Wenson?" The guy rolls down his window

"Yeah that's me" Jax walks towards the car

"Ok" the man gets out of the truck "is this the car?"

"Yes. My dad said that he's done business with you guys before so I shouldn't worry about insurance information"

"You're Mike's boy right?"

"Yes"

"Yeah then you're fine. I'm gonna take care of this"

"Ok I'll probably ride back with you and have my dad pick me up from there"

"Sounds good to me."

"I can take you home Jax"

He pulls me back to my car "I'm gonna try my best to stay away from you-"

"Jax"

"No listen I'm not mad I just know it's best because the way I feel about you will just get worse. You're an amazing guy Mitch and any girl would be lucky to have you, Summer took you for granted and I knew that before you and I even got close"

"I'm still your friend"

"Yeah but I can't be your friend that's not enough for me, and I'm not asking for anything from you I just needed you to know how I felt"

He hugs me one last time then turns to walk away but I grab his hand "Jax come on"

"Mitch I'm serious get in your car and go home, go be with Jessie someone that can provide for you something I lack" I let go of his hand and he continues to walk.

My heart is racing I get in my car and sit there as I watch him get into the tow truck. I don't know what to do with everything he just told me, I know I don't want to lose him but he's made up his mind.