Thirteen

"Where are you going?" My mom asks as I grab my keys to leave

"A few friends are doing something for me and I have to head there now"

"You don't have any friends" Liv walks in

"Shut up Liv!" I bark at her

"Where are you really going Mitchell?"

"I'm going to meet a girl, I met her last night and she wanted to hang out"

"Lying to your own mother shame on you" I scold Liv who won't keep her mouth shut

"Can I go please?" I ask my mom who's standing in my way

"Will you at least come back a little early so you can open gifts?"

"I told you and dad I didn't want anything mom"

"Well we still got them so..."

"Fine I'll be back early" I kiss her on the cheek and walk around her to leave.

I texted Jessie last night when I got home and we've been talking and we decided to meet up today and hang out. She's seems cool and she's really pretty. As I'm driving my phone starts to ring looking down I see Jax name, ignoring it I continue to drive I can't deal with Jax right now, last night was enough. He drinks so much and refuse to tell anyone why, I'm worried about him but if he won't tell me what's wrong I don't know how I can help him.

Pulling up to the dance studio Jessie works at I sit in the car staring at Jax's missed call knowing if I just ignore it I'll never feel right. Deciding to text him I say 'hey sorry I was driving. Everything ok?'

Sitting in the car I wait for Jax to reply, few minutes later someone knocks on my window scaring the shit out of me "hey" Jessie waves smiling as I try to act cool. Getting out of the car "I'm so sorry if I scared you"

"No it's ok" she hugs me and I awkwardly hug back "I didn't know what time you were gonna end so I was waiting out here"

"Oh come on up! I've got practice for another half an hour and then I'm all yours" we walk into the studio and as I follow behind her everywhere we turned was a group of people dancing. This place is so busy and there's music blasting from every direction, we finally get to the room she's in "you can wait right here, that alright?" I nod and we smile to each other and she runs back joining her group.

She starts to dance and every chance she got shed flash a smile my way and I stand in the back of the room trying to not look like a creep. As I watch them my phone buzzes in my pocket 'yeah I'm ok, my mom's driving me to the doctor to get my wrist looked at' Jax texts back

I panic a little 'is it ok?'

'Just started throbbing when I woke up this morning... hurts a lot' I'm such a fucking asshole! He called because he needed me and I ignored him

'Tell me where your mom is taking you I'll meet you guys there'

'No it's ok Mitch I'm ok I promise. I'll let you know what happens'

'Okay, text or call as soon as you find out'

'I will'

•—•

"How's your friend?" Jessie asks as she eats

"He's ok" or not it's been 4 hours and I haven't heard from Jax. I keep checking my phone to see if he texted but nothing

"That's good, he was so out of it last night and that sleaze was not helping"

"Yeah."

"Why aren't you eating? I feel like I'm pigging out and you're just watching me" she laughs

"I don't mind, and I'm not really hungry"

"If you say so" she continues to eat. "I asked Krista about you"

"Learned anything fun?"

"No actually you're very boring" she laughs

"I told you"

"But then she went on about something that happened in the summer? I wasn't really listening"

"Oh you mean my ex girlfriend Summer"

"That makes so much more sense, when'd you two break up? If you don't mind me asking"

"A month ago give or take a few weeks"

"Oh you're fresh on the market! Am I pushing my luck?"

"I'm not sure what you mean?"

"I mean do you-" she's cut off by my ringing phone

Quickly taking it out of my pocket I see Jax's name "one sec" I get up from the table "hey" I answer

"Hey" he sounds so quiet "I don't know why I called I could've just text"

"What'd the doctor say Jax?"

"He said that it's not broken just sprained and swollen. I'll be fine"

"Good I was kind of worried when I didn't hear back from you"

"You were worried?" He sounds so different something doesn't feel right

"Of course I was" he doesn't reply "Jax?"

"Yeah"

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine Mitch" I know he's not and I don't really know why he won't tell me

"Are you working today?"

"No called in sick"

"Ok. I'm gonna go alright?"

"Yeah sure bye"

"Bye" we hang up. I walk back to Jessie who finished her food "sorry it was Jax, he went to see a doctor and something's wrong but he just won't tell me"

She smiles "do you want to go see him?"

"No! That'd be rude we're hanging out"

"Trust me if you don't you're just going to spend the rest of the date thinking about him"

"Date?"

Embarrassingly looking awake "I said date didn't I?" I nod yes "but of course this isn't a date! I think I would know if this were one"

I smile "I mean we can go on an actually date if you'd like, one where I'm not ditching you"

"I'd like that" she replies with a smile

"I'll call you?"

"Please do" getting up she kisses me on the cheek and I leave.