The calm before the storm

The Chinese army had dug a trench in front of the emperors statue and a road to get down into it. Maddog had got us there before the emperor I think and he let Evie, Lin's mother, Alex and Rick off before me; I had to say my goodbyes.

It was quite and peaceful as the sand swirled around me a stark contrast to what this area would be in the not so distant future. I put the kick stand out on the bike and climb off killing the engine. I take deep breaths as I prepare myself for the grueling battle ahead - we'd be out numbered twice fold and 3/4 of the emperors army were terracotta soldiers who couldn't die unlike us humans.

I move the wrist band that I always wear on my wrist exposing my tattoo; the symbol of strength and of a warrior...Ardeth chose it for me after he finally convinced me to get one. It hurt more than he let on it did and I wanted to strangle him afterwards. But the pain didn't stop me from getting one more on the center of my back; a symbol of family and the quote family don't end with blood. Something I learnt during my time with Ardeth and the Medjai on our missions - they were men from all different backgrounds and social status that came together to create their own family and to follow their fate.

When I first started my digs I did not believe in the Egyptians sense of fate and destiny but after dying my eyes were opened, as if the fates allowed it that would have been the end of my story.  I hear the flapping of wings and steady myself drawing my sword I steal my resolve to fight.