Beauty and the Beat (20)

Two weeks after the December dance show, and it was the Monday of the week before winter break. Everyone was squirrely, including me. I couldn’t wait to have two weeks off without any work to do at all.

My last period used to be the one class I never looked forward to, but it was now by far my favorite. I never thought I would ever like English this much.

As Ethan passed back our tests, I waited eagerly for mine. I hadn’t really studied for it, but I was sure I was going to get a good grade, considering who was grading them.

But when I got my test back, my jaw nearly dropped. There was no A like I was expecting, but a D instead. All I could really do was just stare at it for a few moments.

I looked across the room to see Freya excitedly show Bennett her test. Obviously, she had passed. And Bennett had as well, considering the smile on his face.

“Ooh, tough break, Sade,” a new voice suddenly broke in from beside me, and I turned to glare at Maxxon. “You always think you do better than you actually did, huh?”

I felt like lifting my foot up and bringing it down right on his cast, but I knew that wasn't the best idea, because I could be sent to the principal for that. I was still angry at him for the dance show, so I only rolled my eyes at him and turned back toward the front of the room. I stared down my teacher who just so happened to also be my boyfriend.

After school, I waited until the classroom was almost empty before I stood in front of his desk, my test gripped in my hands. Ethan merely smiled at me, as if he could tell why I was there to talk to him. “Yes?”

“I’d like to discuss the grade I got on the test you just handed back,” I informed him, and that was exactly what I wanted to do. This wasn’t some type of way to get him alone so I could make out with him... like we had been doing almost every day after school since we had gotten together.

Ethan seemed to notice that I wasn’t happy, so he smirked. “Really, Miss Walker? Alright.”

There were only two students in the classroom, both taking their sweet time as they packed up and gossiped about whatever was going on in the school. I wasn’t paying attention. All I cared about was the D written at the top of my paper.

“Bye, Mr. Deveraux!” one of the girls giggled as they made their way toward the door. “We’ll see you tomorrow!”

He waved back at the girls and smiled that charming smile of his. “See you tomorrow, girls.”

I couldn’t help but feel a little ticked off at those girls, and even Ethan. Though he wasn’t flirting with them, he was pretty much enabling their flirtatious behavior. And right in front of me, too.

I understood that my boyfriend was gorgeous. Obviously, that was one of the reasons why I was so attracted to him. But putting someone that looked like Ethan into a pit of hormonal teenage girls was not a good idea.

“Now, you wanted to talk about your grade?” he questioned once it was finally just us in the room. I nodded, slamming the paper down on the desk in front of him.

“You gave me a D,” I told him, in case he somehow didn’t know that.

“You earned a D,” he informed me.

I made a face. “Don’t go acting like a teacher.”

“I am your teacher, Sadie.” I really didn’t like it when he reminded me of this. It just reminded me of how what we were doing was illegal and against the rules. We weren’t supposed to be doing it, but we were doing it anyway.

“But… but…” was all I was able to say.

“I drew a heart on the back,” he smirked, as if that was going to make my failing grade better. I hadn’t even noticed that, and I wasn’t about to turn it around to look if he was telling the truth.