Beauty and the Beat (2)

“Do you know I’m technically married to Mr. Deveraux?”

I nearly spit out my soda, not believing what Freya had just said to me. She looked so proud and triumphant, yet all I could do was stare at her as if she was a crazy person. What the hell was she even talking about?

Bennett blinked at her, as if thinking the exact same thing I was as he asked, “What the hell are you talking about?”

So he was thinking exactly what I was. Well, it wasn’t like this was the first time.

“Well, when we were kids, his brother and his girlfriend, though I actually don’t think they were dating at the time, were babysitting me,” Freya began, and I immediately knew she was talking about Zach and Maxynn. “And I wanted them to get married because I thought they were just super cute together! But when I saw Mr. Deveraux, I wanted to marry him, so his older brother married us. Hey, I should probably start calling him Ethan then, huh?”

How she failed to inform me of this before was beyond me, but I could barely believe what I was hearing.

But I couldn’t help but think about how that was totally something Ethan would never do, especially when he was younger. He barely got along with anyone; the only person I really saw him actually being genuinely nice to was my brother, and his best friend, Riley. Other than that, he was practically the spawn of the devil.

“Don’t call him Ethan,” Bennett scowled at her now, as if he was disgusted by the thought of it. “He’s a teacher. That’s just creepy.”

Freya shrugged, sipping her milkshake and staring into space dreamily. I let out a sigh, not even about to break her from her thoughts. First she had a huge crush on Maxxon, and now on Ethan. Did she have to like the guys that made my life completely miserable?

I made a face now as I thought about how I had to start calling him Mr. Deveraux or else I’d get into trouble. But just thinking about it made everything difficult. Ethan had always been such a jerk to me, so I definitely didn’t want to call him anything that would make someone think I respected him or anything.

“I don’t like that guy,” Bennett now informed us, and I waited to hear what else he had to say before I agreed with him. “There’s just something about him that seems… I don’t know. I just don’t like him.”

I sighed. “I can’t help but agree.”

“You two are nuts!” Freya practically shouted, nearly knocking over her milkshake as people around the fast food restaurant looked over at us and stared. “What’s there not to like about him?”

I could have given her a few reasons, but I decided to keep my mouth shut and not say any of them. If she wanted to think that he was some prince in shining armor, than I was going to let her think that. She didn’t have to know what a monster he truly was.

“Well, first,” Bennett started, saving me from having to answer her question, “he’s a teacher.”

Freya waved her hand in her face, brushing this fact away. “Details, details.”

Yes, Ethan was hot. And yes, he seemed like a really charming guy. But in all reality, he really wasn’t. He was a wicked, nasty person that made fun of people for now reason just for his own enjoyment. Just because he was attractive and a good actor didn’t mean that he was a prince charming.

“Freya,” Bennett snapped at our best friend now. “He’s. A. Teacher. A teacher! Nothing’s going to change that fact. Doing anything with him would be illegal. He’d get fired, and you’d get expelled. Not to mention everyone would think you’re easy.”