Beauty and the Beat (37)

I’d never seen my mother as shocked as she had been when I told her that I had actually been asked to prom. Even when she had found out about Ethan and me, she hadn’t been shocked. Only furious.

“You got asked to prom?” my mother questioned, her jaw nearly hitting the floor.

I didn’t know if I should have been insulted or not as I asked, “Is it that shocking?”

My mother seemed to realize how what she had said sounded. “Well, I just thought… I didn’t expect…”

“Is it another teacher?” Riley suddenly spoke up from the couch.

“Riley! That isn’t funny!” our mother shouted at him.

My brother shrugged. “I think it was hilarious.”

“It wasn’t,” she glared.

“Maybe it’s the janitor this time.”

“Riley!”

I felt myself beginning to get a headache. I knew it’d been a mistake to tell my mother in front of him, but I did so anyway. I thought he should have known as well, though I had no idea why it was relevant to him in the slightest.

“You think you’re funny, but you’re not,” I informed him, crossing my arms over my chest as I glared.

Riley shrugged again. “I think I’m hilarious.”

There was no point in having this argument with him. He was just trying to get a reaction from me, so that was not something I was going to give.

“It’s not a teacher or the janitor,” I clarified. “It’s Maxxon.”

My mother’s eyes widened. “Maxxon?”

Riley looked just as surprised. “You’re going to prom with Maxxon?”

I nodded. My mother looked even more shocked, which I hadn’t thought was possible. What was wrong with me going with Maxxon? He was much better than a janitor or a teacher.

Riley shook his head. “You can’t go with Maxxon,” he said.

“And why not?” I demanded.

“Because Maxxon’s in love with you,” Riley answered, as if that was somehow a good reason not to go with him. Prom was filled with couples that were in love. It wasn’t strange.

“I know,” I shrugged.

Riley seemed shocked by the fact I was already aware. “You know?”

“I know,” I repeated.

Riley didn’t seem to know what to say at first. I guess I didn’t really blame him, even though this situation was much easier to react to than when he had found out about Ethan and me.

“He told you?” he finally uttered.

I nodded. “He did.”

“Wow.” He leaned back into the couch as he thought for a moment. “So the kid does have balls.”

I rolled my eyes. “How did you know?”

Riley gave me a look. “It was obvious.”

It annoyed me slightly that everyone had apparently been able to see that Maxxon had had feelings for me except for me. Maybe I had been in denial? I didn’t even know.

“It was not obvious,” I denied.

Riley was the one to roll his eyes now. “It so was.”

I shook my head. “Well, I didn’t see it.”