Beauty and the Beat (27)

Katarina had seemed so sweet beforehand. When it came to Maxxon, she was nervous and timid. When it came to the school news, she was outgoing and bubbly. She was like two completely different people. But now, she had a third personality I wasn’t aware of. An evil bitch that liked to ruin people’s lives.

I was glad that I didn’t set her up with Maxxon. I didn’t want him to be with someone like her. There was a huge chance that she actually had something wrong with her. Multiple personalities? Maybe.

I could just imagine her smug smirk as she thought about the fact that she had won. But no, she hadn’t. She might have won this battle, but there was no way in hell I’d let her win the war.

I thought about all the videos she had of us. How long had she been following me around? It was actually really creepy. And I was mad at myself for not even noticing that I was being followed. Maybe if I had noticed, this could have been avoided.

My life was over. I was going to be expelled. Ethan was going to be fired. Everything was over. And there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

The hallways were empty and silent as we followed Mrs. Crandall. Ethan and I didn’t even look at each other. I was afraid of what might have happened if I did look at him.

All I could think of was the classroom we had just left. Not only did they not have a teacher, but Katarina was inside, along with Bennett, Maxxon, and Freya. I had absolutely no idea what was going on in there or the rest of the classrooms.

As we walked through the office, I ignored all the looks and glares the women working in the office gave both Ethan and me. I was just glad they weren’t saying anything to us.

Mrs. Crandall let us into her office and shut the door behind her. The silence was eerie and scary, and I was afraid of what was about to come. I felt like I knew what she was going to say to us, but there was no way I could have been one hundred percent sure.

“This is…” our principal started, but then stopped and shook her head. “I can’t even think of a word that can describe how horrible this whole situation is.”

I agreed with her. Ethan was an English teacher, a genius, and even he didn’t look like he knew what he was supposed to say.

“Obviously, this is inappropriate.” Mrs. Crandall laced her fingers together and placed them in front of her on her desk. “I think it should be common sense that a student and a teacher should not be acting this way together.”

“That’s why we kept it a secret,” I grumbled, but she didn’t seem to hear me. That was good, because I didn’t want her to hear me.

“A student and a teacher should not be acting the way you were, but I’m sure you know that,” she continued on now. “So I’d love to hear why you thought this was a good idea.”

We knew this wasn’t a good idea. We knew it was a horrible idea. But that wasn’t going to stop us for acting on our feelings. Did they really think they could lock us in a room together every day for months without something happening? And then there were the times we had to deal with each other outside of school…

“We’re not just student and teacher,” I began, wanting nothing more than to go back in time and kill Katarina. “We’re more than that. Obviously. But we’re also more than just boyfriend and girlfriend. We’re best friends. And we have been for years. We’ve known each other ever since I was born; he was there in the hospital when my mom gave birth to me.”

Mrs. Crandall frowned. “Sadie…”

“Whoever decided it was a good idea for us to be so close to each other again when we couldn’t be together should have known that this was inevitable,” I informed her, my arms crossed over my chest. “Obviously, no one thought that old childhood friends would become student and teacher, but whatever. My parents should’ve known this is going to happen. My friends should’ve known this is going to happen. We should’ve known this was going to happen.”