Chapter 4

Sirens blaze blue and red lights over a small house. It is two floors and thin painted plain white with a red tiled roof. All the windows are spewing out orange light.

A scream comes from inside. A piercing scream. And muffled words of cursing, sadness and prayer all coming from the same person. The sound keeps going but carries down the house until a boy exits the doors. He is small and skinny and is being restrained by two police men. Blood is splattered all over him. Coating his hands, his face, his skeleton hoodie and once black trousers. He continues screaming in terror as he is pushed in to the police car which drives away instantly.

Up the stairs in a small neat bedroom full of bright colours ,posters of basketball and with a small made up single bed lies another boy. This boy is dead. Large wounds of knives cover him. Blood coats every inch of his body like the other boy. A woman is sobbing in the doorway as the body is examined. His face is still in horror. He wears a once plain white top and bright red shorts that blend in with the blood. His hair is striking. A fluffy pink like candy floss. Shaved at the sides. Not completely covered in blood.

Knives cover the floor. The murder was so obvious. It was like he wanted to be caught...
*
Tony doesn't turn up at school the next day. Natasha knew he wasn't but she feels a twinge of sadness for him. Clint walks beside her through the busy corridor trying to ignore the few people yelling insults at him.
"Why did we take this route to science?" He hisses
"Because" Natasha sighs an impatient sigh "We're late and the usual way is longer"
"I hate this school!" Clint moans "I don't want to do stupid chemistry! I don't want to see Bruce and hear his stupid facts"
"Stop being so negative" Natasha says pushing him quickly through the doors of the classroom he just stood outside.

Bruce sits in the corner as usual. His glasses are perched on the end of his nose, his uncontrollable mousy brown hair covers his eyes as he pours over a textbook taking notes every now and then.
"Hey Bruce"
He looks up with a jump as if he didn't expect them to be there.
"Oh thank god you came" his expression breaks in to a shy and relived smile "sit down"
They sit down next to him. Clint is glaring as he slams his books on to the desk.
"Careful Mr Barton!" The teacher sitting at the front desk looks up from her computer "And can you explain your brief absence?"
Clint groans and buries his head in his work taking furious notes. He doesn't emerge for some time.
"Tony isn't here?" Bruce asks his eyes still fixed on his textbook
"Nope" Natasha sighs
"I'm worried for him" Bruce looks up at Natasha, his brown eyes huge and wide
"We're all are"

Natasha looks around the classroom and spots Bucky and Steve in another corner who are chatting. They look like they don't want to be heard. Bucky's eyes dart nervously around the classroom like they always do when he is nervous. The circles under his eyes are growing and he looks scared.
"What's up with Bucky?" Natasha asks
"He was home alone last night" Bruce says looking up at Bucky himself "There was a murder next door. This guy killed his best friend or something. Didn't you hear? Bucky saw it all through the window. Traumatised him. Apparently the murder was normally pretty nice but apparently it seemed like the murderer wanted to be caught."
"First those twins now this" Natasha sighs looking over at Bucky and Steve who are now embraced in a hug. Despite how skinny Steve is, he looks pretty comforting "what's happening?"
"They can't be connected" Bruce roles his eyes "The twins didn't kill the boy. It was one person. The twins live in the care home"
"No they don't!" It's Natasha's turn to role her eyes "I live there Bruce! Don't you think I would of met them!"
"What?" Bruce looks genuinely shocked
"They don't live there!" Natasha repeats
"Where do they live then?" Bruce frowns
Natasha shrugs.
"You're the smart one" she says "figure it out"
*
Bucky leans against the side of his bed breathing heavily. Everything seems to blur in front of him in a mess of floating colours. His heart pumps in his ears as he lets out a ear splitting scream. There is the sound of the front door opening and closing and the sound of footsteps down the hallway. Oh god oh god oh god. He's coming for him next.

He looks frantically around his blurry room and slowly tries to get up using the bed to support himself. The sound of the footsteps come up the stairs. They sound so innocent. But they support something so deadly. He is almost up when his legs collapse beneath him and he crumples on to the floor, sobbing.

Why is he acting like this? He is Bucky Barnes. The boy who jumped off a building as a dare. The boy who went in to an abandoned house just for the fun of it. And now on the brink of death like he had been before he is suffering. He supposes it's because he's not putting on a show. Not doing it to show off. Not for fun. This is genuine.

"Bucky?"
At the sound of the voice he gives a small cry and tries to scramble back, shielding his head in terror.
"Are you home? Or are you out being gay with your little buddy? Work was awful. How the hell am I going to pay of this tuition fees... Bucky what's wrong?"
The voice is familiar, sweet, female. It sound concerned not dangerous.This isn't the murderer.

Shaking all over he raises his head to see his older sister, May standing at the doorway. Her hair is done up in a braid like she always does for work and she is wearing a pretty blue dress.
"May!" He breathes out in relief covering his face with his hands
"Bucky what happened?" She asks worriedly, her eyes concerned and wide
Unable to speak Bucky raises a shaking finger to the window. May follows his gaze and gasps in shock.
"What the hell..."
Author's note: Yes I know that Bucky is actually the eldest child of four but I created this May character just as a side character to just have that typical loving older sister role. She could be compared to Rebecca who is Simon's older sister in the mortal instruments idk.