Chapter 13

"Bucky!"
Steve and Tony both run in to the shed closely followed by Peter. They're all panting. Bucky looks at them, running his hand through his hair again.
"Sorry I ran off like that" he mutters "I figured I should go to Wanda. I thought she might of experienced something like this. But..." he trails of eying Wanda's shaking form with dismay
"Buck are you okay?" Steve asks putting his hand on Bucky's shoulder "you were flailing around a lot"
"I'm fine" Bucky sighs, brushing Steve's hand off and sitting down next to Wanda who looks up at him with big eyes "did you feel it? The smoke?"
"Like it was burning yeah" Wanda nods
"Oh god what the hell is this?" Bucky rubs his eyes hurriedly "why us?"
Before anyone can speak Natasha and Clint walk in. Clint has his bow and arrows slung over his shoulder . They probably came straight from the forest.
"We got your text. Bruce will be here in a moment. Thor isn't responding" Natasha says looking around at the crowded room and then at Bucky "Bucky are you okay?"
"I don't know" Bucky looks frustrated "it all happened so fast. And it felt so real. The pain was so-"
He is interrupted by Steve grabbing his hand and squeezing it tightly. His face relaxes and Steve sits next to him.
"Just calm down a bit" Steve smiles his usual comforting smile
Bucky smiles back and rests his head on Steve's shoulder. Tony makes a sort of choking nose. Fitz giggles.
"What you laughing at Fitz?" Tony scowls
"Your intolerance towards love" Fitz grins
"Can we just get to the point please!" Natasha sighs "Wanda and Bucky both had this weird dream which apparently felt as real as Clint's virginity"
"Shut up!" Clint scowls "you're getting off the point as well Nat!"
"Sorry I just couldn't help myself" Natasha grins
"Can everyone just stop messing about!" Pietro yells standing up suddenly. The anger bubbling inside him bursts out "My sister has obviously been through some kind of trauma and all you guys are doing is hugging and making childish jokes!"
He breaths out hurriedly. And looks around. Everyone is silent, looking at him. Wanda has her legs drawn up to her chin and sits, looking downwards, still pale. Bucky is clutching on to Steve's hand like his life depends on it. Fitz looks like he is calculating something in his head. Natasha and Clint have stopped arguing but Clint looks irritated.
"Are you okay Pietro?" Peter steps forward cautiously 
"I'm fine it's Bucky and Wanda we need to worry about" Pietro snaps "Why them? Why did it happen? How did it happen?"
"This is all odd" Fitz shakes his head "very odd. If only Jemma was here...she would know how to work it out"
His eyes turn watery like he is about to cry. Nobody comments. Pietro supposes that who ever this girl he keeps mentioning is... she seems very personal to him.
"Ah yes Fitz I have some news from Jemma" Natasha says scratching the back of her head
"What?" Fitz looks up urgently, his eyes wide
"I'll tell you in private" Natasha shakes her head "anyway, Pietro continue"
"I think there's something we don't know about Bucky" Pietro says "that he doesn't even know about himself... I mean what if he can do something similar to Wanda? And that's why he is getting the same visions?"
"It is a sensible idea" Peter shrugs "I say we wait to see if anything happens and we'll go on from there"
"Good idea" Steve smiles "I say we all leave before my parents notice anything suspicious and so Wanda can calm down a bit"
Fitz doesn't respond, he just grabs Natasha's arm and drags her out in a panic. Clint follows and so does Tony and Peter.

Bucky and Steve stand up, still clutching hands.
"Call me if you need anything" Steve says and they both walk out.

Pietro turns to Wanda who looks up at him. She's stopped shaking but she's still pale. She is so pale that her eyes look brighter than ever. Like giant green orbs.
"That was a lot to take in" she smiles slightly
"Yeah" PiGetro breaths out a long breath"are you feeling better?"
"I do" she says stretching out her legs and looking down at her pale white hands.
Pietro has always wondered why Wanda has been so shy and introverted compared to him. Maybe it's his protective nature towards her. Maybe it's because she doesn't want to be noticed.
"I still don't know what the hell that was" Wanda shakes her head and then she pauses "Fitz seemed so tense... and Clint"
"We shouldn't worry about them" Pietro sighs "we should worry about you and Bucky and what we're going to do about this"
"We already talked about it Pietro! We're going to wait to see if it happens again and then take further action"
"But I don't want you to go through all that again!" Pietro cries, looking extremely distressed
"I'll be okay" Wanda smiles "I promise. I'm stronger than you think"
*
"How are you feeling?" Steve steps next to Bucky and they start to walk in to school towards science
"Okay" Bucky shrugs "I hardly slept though"
"Have you and your parents talked?"
"Yeah" Bucky nods "I'm still telling them that I'm getting better. Which I am"
"So you're totally ignoring what happened yesterday?" Steve raises his eyebrows
"No but that was something totally different, wasn't it?" Bucky sighs as they walk in to the empty science room and take their usual seats at the back.

Steve looks around. At second glance it isn't empty. Fitz sits at the corner of the room reading a book. When he looks up Steve sees that his eyes are bloodshot like he's just be crying. He smiles weakly.
"Jemma will be back in a month" he smiles
"Fitz that's great!" Bucky grins "she's been gone for so long. It will be nice to see her"
"Yeah" Fitz shrugs "I guess"
Steve immediately knows why Fitz isn't jumping for joy. A few months ago just after Simmons left, Fitz had sat Steve down and confessed that he had been hallucinating her. Steve wasn't surprised. This off course was an effect of hypoxia. It was normal. But when Simmons comes back will Fitz get confused? Will he be able to distinguish what is real or not? Steve quickly picks up his phone and sends a quick text to Fitz as more people start to enter the class and the atmosphere becomes considerably louder.
Is it still happening?
Yeah.
Is it bad?
Yeah.
How bad?
She's sitting right next to me right now.
Fitz you need to remember she is not real.
Yeah I know. It's hard. She's talking to me.
Just shut your eyes and try and to ignore her.
Steve looks over at Fitz who immediately scrunches up his eyes and rests his head, face down on his arms.
"Is he okay?" Bucky mutters
"I don't know" Steve sighs "did you do the homework?"
"Shit..."
"Language"
"Please god let us have a substitute" Bucky whispers, looking up at the ceiling.