Chapter 10

Pietro stands by the chest of drawers, looking in the mirror balanced on top. He looks in to his own blue eyes. The look more grey at the moment, matching  his overgrown, messy hair. He never knew why his hair was white. It started off as brown but by a the time he was about five it had started to become white.Wanda had always joked about it, calling him an old man. Off course Wanda always joked those days. She was always happy and her powers hadn't grown. She was able to control them. They were just little wisps of red hexes and her eyes never went red. His powers also weren't fully developed but they developed quicker and by the time he was seven he could fully control them. Though his angry temperament still remained. Wanda just got worse. When she was eight she lost control. He remembered the night it had happened. They had to restrain her. Screaming in pain. Her eyes glowing scarlet. Struggling to attack. They knocked her out but she woke up with nightmares the next morning, sobbing. Their parents decided they couldn't risk her going to school. Risk the world knowing about her. And she didn't use her powers until the day they died.

He looks over at her now, asleep. Her knees are curled up to her chin and her chest slowly rises and falls. She looks so small. So innocent. But he knows behind that small fragile body there is a monster ready to be unleashed.

"Pietro?"
Pietro jumps in shock, spinning around.
"Peter" his face breaks in to its usual scowl
"Is she sleeping?" Peter tilts his head looking at Wanda. How can his eyes be so black?
"No she's dead" Pietro sighs sarcastically
"That's not a nice joke" He talks quickly like he's in a rush. That's something Pietro can relate to.

He walks towards the chest of draws. He has put his hair up in a bun though it is a bit too short as some silver strands are loose. He has taken his jacket off but still has his usual top and jeans on.
"Ha Steve still has his American merch" he scoffs
"It's too bright for my liking"
"Your so emo" Peter shakes his head "I would expect you to be wearing eyeliner but maybe that's too mainstream"
"What's...emo?"
He laughs loudly and then claps his hand over his mouth.
"Oops I shouldn't wake Wanda" he mutters "after all she may be my sister"
"About that..." Pietro cuts in
"We should probably have a DNA test or something" Peter shrugs
"First" Pietro scowls "Wanda and I shouldn't even be in this country! Secondly none of us should risk getting our DNA tested because of what we can do"
"How do you live here then?" Peter frowns
"We were homeless" Pietro says shortly
Peter is silent. His eyes loose some of their spark but he looks straight at Pietro.
"Your parents?"
"Dead" Pietro's blue eyes darken"Howard Stark killed them"
"That's why you hate Tony Stark so much"
Pietro shakes his head, stepping forward slightly. Peter looks up at him. He is tall. It's slightly intimidating. But there's something in his flickering eyes. Fear, desperation.
"I don't just hate him because of that" He says in a low, hoarse voice "I hate him because he caused my sister to have a panic attack. Him and his obnoxious words. She hurt a teacher! It wasn't her fault of course. She can't control her rage. We ran away. We made sure to hide. But they're probably after us. Wondering who the hell we are and what we can do"
"Well I should probably hide with you"
A faint whimper comes from the corner and Pietro's head immediately snaps to the side. She isn't awake. But tears are streaming down her cheeks. Peter wonders if her eyes are red at the moment. Hidden behind her eyelids.
"You should probably go" Pietro says, coldly
"I don't want to" Peter shakes his head "how do you stay stable Pietro?"
"You think I do?" Pietro snorts "I can hide a lot."
"Well I hope I can be your friend"
"That's unlikely!"
"I'm Peter Maximoff" he grins "Everyone wants to be my friend"
                                   *
"Good shot!"
Clint grins, turning around to see Natasha. He wears her usual black jacket and leggings. Her red hair is in two small plaits.
"Hey Natasha" Bruce looks up from his book, smiling
"Oh yeah Bruce I meant to ask you something" Natasha says as Clint fires another arrow. It lands just outside bullseye "Not good Barton!"
"Shut up" Clint roles his eyes and steps forward to retrieve his arrows
"If your asking if I'm free tomorrow I'm not" Bruce mutters
"Are you kidding me!" Natasha cries, throwing her hands dramatically in the air
"Sorry" Bruce shrugs turning back to making notes in his book "Me and Leo have the lab booked for our experiment. It's gonna take five days"
"Why do you spend so much god damn time with Fitz?" Natasha sighs
"He's missing Jemma" Bruce shrugs again "Science keeps him occupied. And he's a good friend"
"You and Stark no longer science buddies?" Clint asks, firing an arrow. Bullseye.
"Tony is not in a good state right now" Bruce says as Natasha claps loudly "And anyway him and Leo don't get along. He told me he feels like a third wheel now that Jemma has gone"
"Angsty little bastard" Clint shakes his head
"Has he talked to Wanda?" Bruce asks
Clint nods.
"What happened?"
"I don't know to be honest" Clint shrugs "she did something creepy. Said that she could get in to his head."
"She's just angry" Natasha sighs "Tony has been a huge dick"
"He is nice really" Bruce says, pushing his glasses up his nose "he just says the wrong things sometimes"
Neither Clint or Natasha respond. Natasha just sits staring at Clint as he fires his arrows and Bruce gets out his phone to answer a call.
"No Leo please don't try and break in its 8pm!" He mutters hurriedly "I don't care if Peter is there with you. In fact what the hell is he doing there? Let him talk to me"
"Put him on speaker" Clint smirks
Bruce roles his eyes and presses the speaker button.
"Bruce!" Peter's loud voice appears suddenly "what is it?"
"I thought you were going to stop stealing stuff" Bruce's expression shows genuine worry "we agreed Peter"
"But Fitz needs a Bunsen burner. He says the tube on his one snapped. If this is to do with science then it's okay to steal. Right?" Peter's voice drips with sarcasm and amusement
"No Peter please no..." Bruce's voice trails off "just hand the phone back to Leo"
"Okay" Peter groans
They wait a few seconds listening to the sound of footsteps. Clint is in silent giggles.
"Hi Bruce" Fitz's voice sounds hurried
"Leo please just get out!" Bruce looks exasperated "You can't just break in to a school for a Bunsen burner!"
"But it's parents evening. The doors are open. It's not breaking in!"
"It's stealing!" Bruce groans
"In the name of science!"
Clint's face is in bright red now.
"Look Bruce I really need it" Fitz sounds desperate
"I don't care if you do. Get out of there now or I swear to god I will get Stark to work on the experiment with us"
"Fine!" Fitz sounds angry "come on Peter let's go home!"
"Are you kidding me Fitz! You're such a pussy!"
"I am not working with Tony Stark!"
And he hangs up.