Chapter 19

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. I still can't always trust my powers"
Tony had just told the twins the news. He looked ashamed in himself like he had finally come to his senses but it only made Wanda feel sympathetic .
"I should go back there" Wanda said suddenly "I should go back there and wipe their memories and see if it works properly this time"
"You will do no such thing!" Pietro snapped,standing up. He had gone very pale and looked extremely agitated. "This is just one person. Besides you could risk altering the memories of everyone that is helping us...Steve,Natasha,Clint,Bruce,Fitz"
"There are three agents that are probably in there or are in this area" Wanda retorted , turning around to face him "they will ask people. It's better if no one knows"
"You are not risking it" Pietro jabbed a finger at her chest "if you got caught..."
He trailed off.
"It's our only chance to ensure safety Pietro..."
"NO" his words sounded definite
Wanda slumped against the wall, running a hand through her knotted hair. This was only getting worse and worse.

She looked up. Tony was looking furious. Despite being smaller than Pietro, he looked up at him with no fear in his eyes.
"You're a real asshole you know that" he hissed, his eyes gleaming with rage "you're an overprotective asshole. You know that you not taking action could get you killed more than you taking action. Wanda is smart and powerful. She can do this. She doesn't need you to control your life"
Pietro looked like he had just been punched in the face. And he looked furious about it. But for once Wanda agreed with Tony.
"Get out" Pietro said, with a voice of lethal calm "you cannot tell me what to do. You are the one who started all this bullshit in the first place"
Tony didn't move. He just stood there, his hands clenched at his sides, his face furious. He looked like he wanted to actually harm Pietro... and Pietro looked like he actually wanted to harm Tony.
"Guys" Wanda's voice croaked slightly "can you stop please?"
They both turned around. Tony folded his arms across his chest.
"What do you want to do Wanda?" He said, sounding overly polite
"I want to go and wipe their memories again" Wanda said, looking up at Pietro as he exclaimed in refusal "I will do it tomorrow. When everyone is inside at lessons. And I will control my powers if it is the last thing I do. And nothing you say will stop me"
Tony grinned.
*
"Are you nervous?" Pietro asked
They sat on her bed and everyone else filled the room. Even Thor and Loki. Tony had discussed the plan. Everyone in here would either stay off school sick or leave throughout the day with an excuse. At fourth period Wanda,with Pietro guarding, would go to where the woods got closest to the school. Wanda would then get as close as possible and use her powers, planting a false memory in to everyone's brain. Last time she had done this it had drained her so Pietro was forcing her to eat as much as possible and sleep all night in order to be awake and ready.
"Off course I am" she smiled, squeezing his hand that clutched hers "but it needs to be done. So we can be safe"
Pietro grimaced but nodded, squeezing her hand back.
"Hey guys"
Wanda looked up. Bucky was standing there. He looked much happier since Wanda last saw him after the odd dream incident. His cheeks were red, his hair trimmed and neat, his eyes bright.
"I got some therapy" he smiled shyly "and it really helped"
"Finally" Wanda grinned "its good to see you looking happy again"
"It is" Steve walked over, positively beaming " If you had just listened to us earlier though!"
Bucky raised an eyebrow at him and Steve stopped. Wanda understood why. Therapy couldn't solve everything. She just smiled at Bucky and sat back against the wall. She couldn't help but be nervous. What she was going to do the next day...she had done it before but rushed and messily. Tomorrow if she messed this up...who knows what would happen. Steve seemed to notice.
"I know you're worried about tomorrow" he said quietly "and trust me we all are. But you are experienced enough to do this. That illusion of the flat... that was pretty amazing. This is nothing"
He said it genuinely with real care in his eyes and Wanda suddenly felt a bit more relaxed.
"Okay!" Tony said loudly enough to get their attention but not to loudly as to disturb the neighbourhood "is everybody clear on what we are going to do?"
Everyone nodded or muttered their response.
"Good!" He smiled nervously "I know we're young and inexperienced but we are doing what is best. S.H.I.E.L.D are cowards for thinking otherwise"
Nearly everyone grinned in response. Some looked nervous as everyone filled out apart from Steve, Fitz and Tony.
"Fitz you okay with leaving after second period?" Tony asked, pulling on his jacket
Fitz nodded silently, twisting his hands in his lap.
"If you want to just stay off home all day that's fine as well" Steve said, concerned as always
"No no it's fine" Fitz shook his head "Good luck Wanda"
He gave a small smile and walked out of the room.
"Why's he so twitchy?" Tony asked, raising his eye brows
"Oh shut up" Steve snorted, looking genuinely annoyed.
Tony put his hands up in mock defence, rolling his eyes before grabbing his small bag from the floor.
"You two don't have phones... I assume?" He said, looking up at the twins
"Nope" Wanda shook her head "well once, Pietro tried to steal one and he nearly got arrested-"
Pietro glared at her, his eyes piercing.
"Well here are two" Tony said, reaching in to his bag and pulling out two small touchscreen phones. They looked new.
"How did you get these?" Pietro asked, in wonder, holding the phone and turning it on "and why is everything upside down?"
"I'm rich and you're holding it up the wrong way grandpa" Tony grinned wickedly
Wanda let out a shrill giggle and Pietro went bright red, his glare only intensifying.
"They have our numbers on them so don't hesitate to call us if anything goes wrong" Steve smiled "and good luck"
He walked out.
"Who is 'pretentious curly haired smartass dick'?" Pietro asked scrolling through the contact list.
"Oh that's Fitz" Tony smirked "I named the contacts"
"I take it that 'skinny gay boy' is Steve then" Wanda raised her eyebrows
"Off course" Tony grinned "their fairly self explanatory don't worry"
And he left, shutting the door loudly behind him.
"'Emo archer'" Wanda giggled "I love these"