Chapter 9

Peter trudges down the garden, Steve and Bucky leading him. He feels the water slowly soaking in to his shoes, and goosebumps forming on his arms but that's the least of his worries. Why are Steve and Bucky being so secretive?Why is Bucky acting so jumpy and twitchy? Why is he so different?

They reach the shed. The door is closed and Steve reaches up and knocks twice.
"Guys can I come in?" He calls
Peter hears a faint response from inside and Steve pushes the door open.
The shed is full of light. The window at the edge borded up. It looks exactly how Peter remembers it. With the American merchandise, the boxes, the rather destroyed looking guitar in the corner. But two beds sit opposite each other in the corner. The two camp beds that would normally be leaning against the wall. On one of the sits two people. A boy and a girl sitting close together, they're heads bent, talking. The boy's head snaps up immediately. He has dark blue eyes, a growing stubble and almost white hair, streaked with brown. He is pretty skinny, but not as skinny as the girl. As soon as his eyes fall on Peter he straightens up looking almost protective of the girl sitting next to him. The girl is very pretty. Her hair is done up in two long, shiny brown plaits (obviously Steve's doing). She is skinny but not unhealthy skinny. She is also pretty small and looks younger than the boy. About 13 or 14. Her nails are painted jet black and her hands are long and delicate. Her eyes a bright green. Almost shocking. Piercing. She looks at Peter with interest, her head tilted slightly.
"Hey Steve" the boy turns quickly to Steve "you brought guests?"
"I like your hair" the girl grins suddenly at Peter. She has a thick accent, like the boy.
"Are you making fun of me?" Peter smiles slightly "Steve..."
"Peter I would like you to meet Wanda and Pietro Maximoff" Steve smiles
Peter freezes. Maximoff. Maximoff? How is this possible?He looks at the kids. Their smiles falter slightly at his shocked expression.
"Hi..." he manages to choke out but his throats feels dry
"Peter?" Steve frowns "what is it? What's wrong?"
Peter clears his throat and turns to Steve.
"I always knew hiding me identity would pay off" he smiles again "hi I'm...Peter. Peter Maximoff"
Their reaction is instant. The boy almost falls of the bed. The girl clamps her hand over her mouth in shock. Steve and Bucky look equally shocked. The whole room is silent.
"How... don't we know you?" Pietro stands up slowly, his hand still in his sisters "we were told all our living relatives are dead"
"Oh so are mine" Peter shrugs "I've been in care all my life. Off course no body really wanted me until I was about 10. I like stealing stuff"
"I got so upset when we had to give that Tv back" Bucky mutters, smirking
"How can we know we're related?" Wanda tilts her head again, her eyes boring in to Peter's
"Can you do what we do?" Pietro steps closer "is that why Steve brought you here?"
"And what can you do?"
"I'm fast" Pietro smirks, looking pleased with himself "and Wanda can do a lot of things... it's hard to explain"
"I have never met a single human being who is faster than me" Peter smirks back at him "so if you think you're fast Santa you haven't seen anything"
"What did you just call me?" Pietro pulls forward but Wanda pulls him back with surprising strength
"Pietro!" She hisses under her breath"he is just joking"
"I could show you and your little sister"
"I am only twelve minutes younger than him thank you very much" she scoffs and her eyes suddenly glow scarlet
"Woah!" Peter doubles back, laughing "that was so cool!"
She scowls at him, her eyes returning her usual shade of green.
"Oh so your like creepy twins!" Peter grins enthusiastically
"Oh god you are such like Tony Stark" Pietro groans
"But Stark isn't fast enough for me" Peter says before taking off out of the door in a flash.
The twins stare, suddenly shocked. Wanda's hand tightens around Pietro's as she breathes out in wonder.
"That little bastard really is fast"
"Pietro... but what if he's our brother?"
Before Pietro can speak, Peter re enters in a flash.
"Okay Santa lets see what you've got" he grins playfully
Pietro rolls his eyes and zooms forward, knocking Peter's hat off his head.
"Sorry I was aiming for the wig" he grins
"This is real hair!" Peter scowls "what about you Wanda?"
Wanda sighs and with a flick of her hands and a red trail, the hat is back on Peter's head.
"Woah" Peter stares in wonder, his dark eyes wide "that's so cool!"
"Oh you can take it any day" Wanda sighs, sitting back down on the bed and pulling her knees up to her chin. She really does look like a child.
"Anyway Peter you have a lot to catch up on" Steve says, putting his hand on Peter's shoulder "how about you and Bucky go back to the house?"
"Fine" Peter groans and the two walk out of the room