Request - Kol Mikaelson "Long Lost Lover"

"What's your favorite memory of all time?" Kol leaned on his elbow and he stared straight into your eyes. He had not even touched the glass of wine in front of him and he had barely taken a bite from the expensive dinner on his plate.

Ever since you had walked into the room he had only been looking at you. He had been looking at your beautiful eyes, still filled with the glimmer he had once fallen in love with. He had been looking at your red lips, still curling up into the kind smile that had once broken down his fences.

"That must be the first date Lucien took me on." You turned your face to your boyfriend next to you. Your hand was holding his and your shoulder was brushing his once in a while.

Kol didn't know if Lucien was aware of the few years of your life you had shared with the original vampire. But based on the confident grin on Lucien's face, Kol was almost certain Lucien had been bringing you to this dinner on purpose.

"And what is your favorite memory from the time before you've met Lucien?" Kol tried once more, but you only rolled your eyes and squeezed the hand you had been holding.

"I remember how I and my friends were making flower crowns during the summer while singing songs." You smiled again and Lucien leaned towards you to whisper something in your ear.

If Kol had been in his Original Vampire body he would have been able to hear what the vampire was telling you. His witch body was not blessed with the enhanced hearing and he was left with nothing but the pain of his breaking heart when you smiled a bright smile and your cheeks started blushing while Lucien rubbed your back.

"Excuse me. I need to go to the toilet. Could someone tell me where I can find it?" You stood up from your seat and Kol hurried to stand up too.

"Of course, I will show you the way." He ignored the fact that you were sighing. He even ignored the fact that you were opening your mouth to protest, to ask if someone else could do it instead, please. He simply started walking and hoped that you would follow.

For a moment there was nothing but silence. There were so many things that should be said, that could be said. But it seemed almost impossible to find the right words to do so.

"Do you know what my favorite memory of all time is?" Kol turned around right before the door leading towards the toilet and he placed his hands on your shoulders. "I remember how I took you to the roof of the castle for a picnic during the full moon. I remember how we've talked for hours. I remember how I've never felt as alive as I felt back then."

You swallowed. Even though you had been compelled not to come after Kol, he had not been able to compel all your memories away. For some reason leaving you with a broken heart had seemed less cruel than taking away the beautiful moments the two of you had shared.

"And I do remember how you were making flower crowns while we were spending time in the meadow during the long and warm summer. I do remember how pretty you looked. You still do, actually." Kol tucked a strand of your hair behind your ear, but you licked your lips and grabbed his wrist.

"Kol..." You swallowed. "Stop it. Stop this. Stop trying to get me back." You took a few deep breaths and stared straight into the warlock's eyes. "I'm happy with Lucien." You licked your lips. "And on top of that, you were the one who gave me up!"

"I had to!" Kol screamed, his voice echoing through the mansion. He knew that everyone would be able to hear him. His family, Lucien. But he didn't mind. He was not ashamed of fighting for the only person he had ever loved. "Klaus forced me to leave you behind, so I did!" He grabbed your upper arms, but you freed yourself easily from his mortal embrace.

"It's too late now, Kol. I'm with Lucien and I'm happy." You walked past him and opened the door to the toilet. Before he could say another word, you closed the door and left him alone.

Kol breathed in and out, fighting the urge to burn the entire building down with you still in it. The last thing he wanted was ending up in the same dark spiral he had ended up in right after leaving you behind. But there has always been a lot of darkness inside of him and without your light there was not much he could do to stop it.