Advent Event - "First Christmas" with Hayley Marshall

You stared at the clock and took a deep breath while you checked for the very last time if you really had everything.

There were more than just a few presents under your Christmas tree. The star at the top almost reached the ceiling. A dozen candles were burning, spreading barely any warmth but loads of Christmas cheer. The table for three was all set up and ready while a pleasant smell filled your nostrils.

You straightened your white shirt once more before the doorbell rang.

Even though you and Hayley had already met eight months ago and had been in love ever since, spending Christmas with her and her daughter felt different. Of all the people in the world she could have spent today with she had chosen you and you wanted to make sure she wouldn't regret it.

"Merry Christmas!" Hayley smiled a bright smile and in her hands she had a giant Christmas cake and a bottle of champagne. She stepped inside and pressed a firm kiss on your lips.

"Merry Christmas, Hayley." You kissed her back and then you smiled at her daughter, now twelve years old and clearly as pretty as her mother was. "Merry Christmas, Hope." You pecked her cheek and stepped aside. "I hid something for you under the tree. You can go and find it. It has your name on it."

Hope smiled and rushed past you, leaving you and Hayley alone in the hallway for a short moment.

"Here, let me take that from you." You took the cake and the bottle from her and waited until she had taken off her jacket.

She wrapped her arms around her and looked at the Christmas decorations you had bought just a few days ago and had attached rather clumsily. "I didn't know you were such a Christmas lover." She smirked and you shrugged.

"I had my girlfriend and her daughter coming over. It felt weird not to try at least something." You walked to the kitchen, but Hayley carefully reached for your shoulder when you were in the doorway.

"You didn't forget the mistletoe, I see." She pointed at the small branch, that was just as fake as the rest of the decorations and tree, above you and you smiled.

You shrugged. "What's Christmas without a mistletoe?" You quickly placed the cake and the bottle on the nearby table and you wrapped your arms around her waist while her arms circled around your neck.

The next moment her mouth kissed yours and your lips slightly parted to let her tongue in. Your eyes closed and you pressed her body as tightly to yours as you could.

"Mom?" Hope rushed into the hallway again, holding a big green box with a giant red bow tie. She waited patiently until the two of you stepped away from each and raised her eyebrows before she continued. "There's a package for you under the tree too. Only one and it's a very small one. I've got five. But this is the biggest, so I want to open this one first."

Hayley reached for her daughter's shoulder. "How small is my present?"

Hope placed her big box on the floor and made a small square with her fingers, exactly the size of a well known little box.

"You should know, Hope, sometimes the smallest presents are worth the most." Hayley winked at you. "You'll see. My present will be the most expensive one."