A lack of concentration

It's Wednesday and he hadn't been seen anywhere! Not the office, not on phone. Even I had to admit he wasn't just hiding from me. Taking into account his size, it would have been ridiculous if he even thought of it.

I tried to find out where he could be but people around the office where being sketchy with their answers. Either that or I wasn't asking the right people. At lunch the perfect person stumbled on my lap, his personal assistant!
The woman I had disliked on first sight when we bumped into each other that day at the office.
Busy heating my lunch I had looked up and found her staring at me. Her skin perfect,  hair still in that updo and heels I would kill to have.

Usually I wouldn't spare a second glance at her. She was everything I did not like in women, entitled and snobbish. Granted she was gorgeous with her cocoa skin and doe like eyes that would reduce you to dirt in a second. But these were desperate times.

'You want to use the microwave?' I asked my voice laced with honey.
In my head I am thinking this is just too much trouble.
She seemed surprised, shocked even.
'Yea.. yes. I would like to use it.' She closed her eyes in embarrasment then said in a clearer voice. 'Yes. Please.'
It was good to know I unnerved her. She needed to be taken down a peg or two.

She sauntered to the refrigerator her black suit clad body moving gracefully on her six inch heels. She was more modelisque than normal human. She pulled out a two tier container from the refrigerator and a plate from the shelf. Of course she would have her own lunch, she probably had her own packet of air different from everyone else I thought with an eye roll.
Why was I being so judgmental all of a sudden?

She emptied the contents systematically on a plate. A salad! Jesus! no wonder she was so slim. She microwaved a piece of meat that smelt like chicknen on another plate and placed it on top of her salad.

I felt ashamed of the food I had just pulled from the microwave. French fries with a piece of chicken and cole slow on the side. Food that would just go to my hips.

She smiled at my plate and I went into defence mode.
'Just so you know, I don't eat like this every day...' which was partly true. I try to eat healthy most times but there are days I am too tired to cook. Besides fast food was always cheaper than buying real food from the luxury hotel across our building.

'I wasn't judging, unless you are thinking of downing that with a bottle of coke.' It was a joke. I saw it in the twitch of her lips. She really was a beautiful girl.

"I am a sprite kinda girl but I promise I am not touching it today. Or anyday this month,' I continued pointing at the calories packed on my plate.

She laughed. A genuine rumble that shook her lithe frame.
'We all say that,' she said with a wink and proceeded to join me on the corner table.

Healthy eating does require a lot of discipline. A discipline that I always switched on and off to suit my mood. Way I figured it, sometimes you have to deviate from the script. To live a little by enjoying the forbidden things. And I was planning on enjoying a lot of forbidden things this year.

'You look more disciplined than most of us,'I said pulling my mind from the direction it was headed.

'My sister is around and she is a vegetarian. Or that's what she claims this time,' she added rolling her eyes.

'Most times I just think she just wants to punish me for being the older twin.'

'You are a twin?'
'Yes, Identical actually.'
'Let me guess she is a model?'
'Yap. What gave it away.'
We laughed looking at her meal.
'Mostly because you look more model like than PA.' There I said it.
'I tried it. The modeling thing. It didn't work. I am not into the petty who is pretty than me routine. Business suits me. Besides it also sets me apart from my twin I think.'

I felt guilty for judging her based on her looks. But if I had noticed how beautiful she was, what about him. It felt like I was being doused with cold water.
Of course he noticed her. She worked with him every second of everyday.

She chose that moment to smile, a gesture that would disarm even the coldest of hearts. No wonder she was his PA. Probably even more than just his PA, I thought eyeing her smooth physique. They would make a cute couple. I could almost see her wrapped in his arms her soft feminity clashing with his muscular physique, as I thought about it a small tag pulled on my heart.

Weren't PA's supposed to even live with you? Was she the one he had gone to after leaving me high and dry three days ago?
Fuck! here we go again. I hate him for turning me into a jealous and petty woman.

This wasn't how I wanted to spend my lunch hour.
Would I always assume he had slept with every woman he knew? Isn't that a little presumptuous and sexist of me? The logical part of my brain asked.
But then as with everything that deal with trusting men, Eugene's face flashed before me, a reminder that you can never be too careful when it comes to men.

'Did you prank people a lot when you were kids? I steered my mind to less stressing thoughts.
'Oh we still do.' There was a mischievous look in her eye. 'Sometimes I would pretend to be her and people would tell me stuff and I would get discounts. She paused. 
I laughed thinking of what i must be like to not only have a sister but a twin.
'Since I started working for Mr. Kasim though,  she can't pretend to be me. He would know in an instant.'
She clamped her mouth shut after noticing what she had said.
There was my cue.
'You can do it when he is away and fool us though. Isn't he away now?
She beamed.
'But she is too busy preparing for New york fashion week.'

'She is that big of a deal.'
'Oh she is the best.  I could never be like her. It is partly the reason why I chose a field so different from hers.'
I knew the feeling. To try and cut a niche for yourself when a family member was succesful. I sympathised wuth her an applauded her strength.

By the end of the lunch hour I had one less office enemy. She was beautiful and funny and took her work pretty seriously. Serious enough to know that her boss had travelled on Sunday morning to Tel aviv and will be coming back at the end of the week.

'There are many things the trip disrupted. Among which is a schedule I had set up for the whole week!" she groaned slumping on the chair. Again the fact that she was good at her job floated unsaid between us.

Watching her, relief flooded me. It was good to know Kev had not only disrupted my life.

When lunch ended I walked into my office and buried my head deep into my work, concentrating for the first time since Sunday morning.