Chapter 5

Apparently Mark had noticed that, too. He stared at the screen before turning to me and mouthing the words, 'should we?'

I didn't know, honestly. It would've went along with the prank, but at the same time it would've also been a little weird since we weren't actually dating. I was going to say no, but instead just shrugged.

Mark's eyes turned back to the screen. "Uh... some people are asking us to kiss." he said to everybody watching.

The chat instantly began flooding with a constant stream of "YES!"

I heard Mark's phone ding again.

Felix: Come on... Do it!

Mark began typing.

Mark: No! I don't want to go THIS far just for a prank!

Felix: We had a deal. You have to pretend you're a couple for a month.

Felix: Besides, it's only a kiss.

Mark sighed and turned back to me. I guess this was happening, then. We looked each other in the eyes for a few seconds. Man, his eyes were beautiful. I suddenly felt his lips on mine and his hands cupping the sides of my face. His lips felt so... soft. I had this weird feeling as he kissed me. It was like a jolt of electricity going through my body. I wrapped my arms around his waist. We soon separated and looked back at the camera.

Both of our faces were red as a tomato. The chat, again, seemed to be moving at the speed of light and just looked like jumbles of letters and symbols flashing on the screen.

Mark quickly checked the time on his phone. "Looks like we're out of time. Thank you everybody for watching the stream. Buh bye!" He moved his cursor over the button to end the stream and clicked.

"Well uh... that was a little weird."

"Yeah." I lied. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that I actually kind of enjoyed it. We sat in silence, awkwardly. I really didn't have anything to say. Honestly, what exactly would you say after just kissing your best friend?

Mark cleared his throat and broke the silence. "Well... I'm gonna go make some dinner." I nodded and watched him rush out of the room.

I continued sitting there. I twiddled my thumbs and fidgeted with the buttons on my shirt, lost in my thoughts.

I decided to grab my phone and check Twitter. To no one's surprise, people had already posted hundreds of pictures of the event. I sighed and put my phone back down.

*********

The next day, I didn't really think the same way around Mark. I would constantly get lost in his chocolate brown eyes, realizing how beautiful they were.

I would always think about that kiss. How soft his lips felt against mine. That lightning bolt sent down my spine when our lips connected. How his stubble felt against my chin. How warm his hands felt cupped against my face. I wished it all had lasted forever.

What was happening to me? This wasn't how it was supposed to go. This was just supposed to be some stupid April Fools joke! It was supposed to be just pretend. Now, I think I was falling in love. For real.