Chapter 6

[Two days after the kiss]

What was going on? Mark had been avoiding eye contact (and contact with me in general) all day.

He hasn't said a word to me. I'd try starting a conversation, but he'd ignore me. He wouldn't even answer a simple question like "what time is it?" It's just been avoid, avoid, avoid. Did I do something? 

I thought back to the past few days. Maybe that kiss was too awkward for him. Or maybe he noticed I was acting weird around him yesterday?

I sighed. I should just stop worrying and ask him what's up.

*********

I caught him in the kitchen around 3, making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for himself as a late lunch. He hadn't eaten lunch with me like he usually does.

Mark suddenly got a notification. I hid just outside the doorway so he wouldn't see me when he turned. He leaned against the counter to check his phone.

I rushed up in front of him when he wasn't looking and blocked him in by placing my hands on the counter next to him on each side, my arms acting as a wall.

He looked up at me with a shocked expression and his cheeks got a slight pink color to them.

We stared at each other for a moment. "W-what are you doing?" Mark stuttered.

"Why have you been avoiding me all day?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean! You haven't said a word to me and every time I try to start conversation you ignore me!" I said, more bitterly than I wanted to.

Mark looked a bit guilty after I said that.

"I don't feel like talking about this right now." He pushed my arm out of the way and ran upstairs.

I ran after him and saw him right outside his bedroom

"Mark, tell me what's going on!" I yelled after securing a my hand on his arm like a claw. His muscles felt tense and the veins on his arms were popping out slightly.

"I told you! I don't want to talk about it!" He escaped my grasp and ran into his room, locking the door behind him.

~Mark's POV~

I plopped onto my bed angrily.

'He'll hate you'

'He won't feel the same way! Your friendship will be ruined.'

The thoughts fluttered around in my brain. They lingered there, getting worse and more believable with every passing moment.

Tears welled in my eyes as I stared up at the ceiling.

'This is supposed to be pretend' I reminded myself.

No.

I was feeling more than pretend.

I need to tell him

But I can't.

<><><>

What do you think Mark will do? Will he confess his feelings?

Thanks for reading! See you in the next chapter!