The Flash of Light and the Dream

"What are you doing?" Steve shouted when he saw Jonathan helping me over to a bench near the ticket booth. "What happened?"

"Chill, man. Nancy tripped." Why was Jonathan lying?

"Oh my god, Nance. Are you okay?" Steve suddenly turned very sympathetic.

"Yeah... I think so," I said. Suddenly, I saw a white flash of light. "Did you guys see that?" I asked them.

"See what?" the two asked in unison.

"Never mind. I probably just imagined it."

***

I ended up riding with Steve and going to his house. Jonathan bought himself a ticket, along with Will, who had sat there quietly while the whole scene played out. They went into the game and I didn't hear from them again that night.

When Steve and I got to his house, I went to his bedroom, but on one of his t-shirts, and fell asleep.

The next thing I saw was very disturbing. I woke up to see the thing right next to Steve's bed. I screamed his name, but no words left my mouth. I turned over to see Eleven standing on the other side of the bed. Her nose was dripping blood and she was using her powers to cut off my breathing. I struggled underneath the sheets until suddenly all was still and they disappeared, and Steve appeared.

"It was only a dream," he repeated over and over. "It was only a dream."

"No! It was real. I promise. It was real!"

"Go back to sleep, Nance." He wrapped his arm over my body and pulled me closer. My body soaked up the heat of his body and I drifted back to sleep.