The End... Or Is It?

About two weeks later, I was working on my final project for home economics- a dress, when I felt my water break. I called for Jonathan and he rushed my to the hospital. Joyce drove behind us, and Will rode with her.

When we got to the hospital, three nurses rushed me into an operating room; the next thing I knew, the watermelon was gone and I was laying in a hospital bed like Will was in a year and a half ago.

I heard the clicking of shoes on a tile floor, then someone turned the corner into my room, but it wasn't who I expected.

"Hello, Steve," I said skeptically.

"Hey, Wheeler," he ran his hand through his fingers.

"Do you know where my kid is?"

"Our kid is in the NICU."

"Wait what?"

"Just because the nurses working right now down know how to do the tests he requires."

"He?" Tears rushed to my eyes. "I had a son," I whispered.

"We."

"WOULD YOU SHUT UP?" I shouted, then Jonathan walked in.

"Are you okay, honey?" He asked as he rushed to my side, grabbing my hand.

"I'm fine. Steve, it's time you left."

He shuffled out and I closed my eyes.

"You did so great in there," Jonathan beamed.

"I don't even remember it..." I regretted to admit it.

"The nurse said that would happen. It happens to a lot of mothers- especially if they're given certain amounts of pain medication," Jonathan rubbed the top of my hand with his thumb.

***

I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I heard crying, and I was drawn to it. Jonathan handed me a small, tightly wrapped baby. I held it in my arms, looked in its little eyes, and I knew. My son was somehow connected to the upside down, and there was nothing I could do about it.