The Mustang and the Morning Sickness

Steve's mustang rolled up in front of my house at 6 o'clock sharp. I swooped my sweater off of my bed and rushed down the stairs and out the door.

"Hey," Steve greeted me as I ducked into the passenger seat.

"Hi," I leaned over and kissed him.

"Have you thought about my proposal?" He asked me as he pressed the gas.

"Yes. I have."

"And...?"

"No. I won't marry you."

Steve slammed on the breaks and looked at me funny. "What do I need to do for you to accept my engagement?"

"We need to both be seven years older and I need to trust you. Looks like neither will happen, since I know you," I responded as I clutched my stomach. "Also, there's other things. I can't just drop everything and get married. I know I've made some not-so-great choices lately," I looked down, "but I'm definitely not getting married. I have more sense than that."

"Well, you should've thought about that before-"

"No. That's not my responsibility. It's yours," I argued.

"I beg to differ." Gosh I could kill him.

"Well so do I. I'm not marrying you and it's your fault I'm pregnant."

***

When we got to the drive in, Steve payed our way in and found a parking space. We both knew that we would end up talking to while time, so we didn't roll the windows down or anything like that. We just sat there in silence for a while until Steve spoke up.

"I know why you're hostile with me."

"And that is?" I asked him.

"Jonathan," he spoke in an almost-whisper.

"Huh?"

"Yeah. You love him. I get it. The underdog story. The quiet nerd. That's how I fell in love you, and that's how you fell in love with him."

"What are you talking about?" I tried to hide the fact that everything he said was true.

"I just have one question. Then I'll take you home if you want." Steve was actually very calm. The calm before the storm. "Did you two ever... you know..."

"No. We didn't. Not ever. This kid is one hundred percent yours."

Steve sighed. "Do you want me to take you home?"

Before I could answer, I had to suddenly open the door. I was sick.

***

After I got sick at the drive-in, I concluded that it was something correlating with the pregnancy. Steve took me home and I called Barb. Her mother is a nurse, so hopefully she would know.

"Can morning sickness happen at night?" I asked Barb through my bubble-gum pink landline.

"Definitely. Morning sickness is just more common. You're going to be fine, Nancy. Don't worry."