The Fort and the Popcorn

After we finished our supper, I sent the boys downstairs and told Jonathan about my plan. We quickly scattered, gathering quilts and pillows. Stacking and unfolding, we soon had a giant fort in the living room. We slid the television into view of the fort's inhabitants.

The two of us stood there admiring our work.

I turned, looking directly into Jonathan's eyes. They sparkled as they gazed back at mine. Before I knew it, his hand was on my cheek and his lips were on mine. I ran my fingers through his hair and he pulled me closer. We were then up against the wall near our bedroom. I pulled away, remembering the twelve year olds that were downstairs. Jonathan looked at me longingly, and I returned the look, but I knew that nothing could happen... at least not while anyone else was home.

"Boys! Come up here for a second," I shouted into the basement. Their footsteps echoed through the house, then they shouted and cheered as they ducked into the giant fort.

Jonathan popped popcorn, divided it into six separate bowls, then joined us inside of the fort. We told ghost stories, talked about Eleven, then we all soon fell asleep as the television played Saved By The Bell.