The Breaker Box

My hands trembled and my eyes watered as I rushed out of the doctors office after Dr. Peters gave me the result papers. I jumped into the drivers seat of my moms minivan and pulled out of the parking lot. I took back roads to avoid traffic, then arrived home. I slammed the door shut, stormed into the house and rushed to my bedroom.

It was Monday, but Mike and I didn't have school because the teachers had a conference or something. Mike was at Dustin's house, so I was alone. I had no one to talk to. No one could know about this. Especially Steve. Nope. Not Steve. But he's the father. Oh my god he's the father. What am I going to do? He'll know eventually when it looks like I'm smuggling around a watermelon.

Suddenly, the lights in the house flickered. I went outside to the breaker box to see if a fuse was blown. As I kneeled over to check, I heard rustling behind me. I jumped and turned to see Barb covered in a purple-black goo and her hair was matted down.

***

Two days later

When Barb got out of the hospital, she came over. I told her everything she missed over the last year. She told me what the Upside Down was like. She said she felt like she was there for centuries and she thought she would never leave. I apologized for the night she disappeared, but she denied it being my fault- I knew otherwise.

"You and Steve?" She asked, almost surprised that I was still with him.

"Why do you act so surprised?" I retorted.

"Well... I thought he was just using you for... you know..." her eyes diverted down, away from my eyes.

"Well... That's something I kinda need to talk to you about..."

"Nance?"

"I'm..."

"No. You aren't," she denied.

"Yeah. I am. And I'm so scared."