Chapter Four: Infactuation

Chapter 4: Infatuation

You had expected it to be much harder to get through 25% of all the victims files and create connections, but to your surprise you finished within five hours. Having nothing better to do you decided to continue. When you were almost 50% of the way done you heard a someone clear their throat behind you. You turned around in your chair to be met with Light Yagami.
"Hello" he greeted with a smile
"Hi" you returned the gesture with a flat tone. You mentally slapped yourself remembering that you had to get close to light. To your surprise your tone seemed to only amuse him.
"How's work going?" He asked taking a seat next to you, you shrugged in response.
"It's easy honestly" you admitted with a smile. Your eyes met with Lights and you both just stared at each other for a moment. You had to admit he was attractive.
"I'm glad to hear" he returned your smile
"Light!" You heard Misa yell in excitement, both you and light looked over your shoulders to be met with Misas smile being dropped into a scowl at the sight of you. "Are you busy right now?" She asked still glaring at you between her words.
"Well I was talking to ___" light told her
"Great! So you're not busy!" She squealed "can you come walk me home pleaseeee! I wanna spend some time with you before I have to go" she began to whine.
You took this as the perfect moment to begin your plan "actually Misa I asked Light to join me on my dinner break. Hope that's not a problem" you smiled at the shocked girl "maybe you'll see him tomorrow after we're done hanging out huh?"
Your taunting obviously deeply upset the blonde girl "light!" She protested in anger, light had an amused smile on his face from your antics.
"Sorry Misa I already promised ___, I'll walk you home another day" Misa began to whine once more.
"But liiiiiiight!" She yelled
Light seemed to get irritated as he reached out and grabbed her wrist "Misa I said shut up and go" he demanded between his clenched teeth. Misa shut up her whining as she was told. A look of fear rose to her face as she quickly turned and headed for the door without another peep. You began to laugh.
"You just scared the shit out of her" you said between gasping for hair. Light joined you with a small chuckle. Once both of you calmed down light looked you in the eyes once more.
"So" he began as he moved closer to you "where are we going to go eat?"
You thought for a moment before coming to an embarrassing realization "actually I completely forgot I have no money" you explained "I have to wait till I get my first paycheck.
Light shook his head "I'm paying"
"No! It's fine really" you protested but light wouldn't head a word of it.
"Get up lets go" he demanded as he stood. You hesitated but slowly rose from your seat also. Light smiled and began walking towards the door with you close behind. Light gave you no time to catch up and protest until you got into the elevator. You stood nervously next to him in the confined place. "You okay?" He finally asked after a few moments of silence.
You nodded your head instantly and let out a small embarrassed laugh "oh yeah I'm fine, just tired" you lied. Light seemed to catch on quickly. You began to worry if tricking him into trusting you would be a much harder challenge than you and L previously calculated.
To your relief Light said nothing about your dishonesty and simply looked forward at the elevator doors "Sorry about Misa" he apologized with a small chuckle.
"Oh her? She's not problem. If anything she makes things more interesting" you laughed as the elevator finally landed on the ground floor. You and light began to make your way out.
"Interesting?" He asked intrigued "how so?"
You shrugged making your way through the building "a little rivalry never hurt"
Light glared at you with a sparkle in his eyes "rivalry over what exactly?" He asked either a smirk. You felt a small blush creep on your cheeks.
"Don't flatter yourself" you joked playfully. Light reached out ahead of you when you arrived at the main entrance and opened the door, gesturing for you to go first.
"I wouldn't dare with someone as feisty as you" his voice was coated with flirtation. You wondered how he had the ability to so casually try and woo you.
Once you and light made it outside he lead you around the corner and down a busy main street. There were a huge amount of people walking down the side walks and yiu began to struggle to get through them all. Half way through the walk you began to realize that being polite and moving out of everyone's way was only slowing you and light down. You began to forcefully push people back as they tried to overtake you.
"Whoa, calm down pretty lady!" A tall muscular man yelled as you rammed your elbow into his side. You ignored him which seemed to strike a nerve. He reached around and grabbed your arm. "Hey, I'm talking to ya!"
You turned to face him with a face of pure annoyance "don't touch me" you demanded earning a loud cocky laugh from him.
"Where you from little girl? Not from around here obviously" his voice had a hint of perversion as he looked you up and down.
You tried to pull your arm free to no avail. Everyone passing seemed to pretend like that saw nothing. You desperately began to search the crowd for Light, but it seemed as though he didn't notice you being stopped by this man and he continued walking leaving you to fend for yourself.
"Let me go before my boyfriend comes back" you threatened. The man didn't seem phased at all by the threat.
"Oh?" He mocked with a shit eating grin "Where is he? I'd love to meet him" You whined in pain as he tugged you down the sidewalk in the opposite direction of Light.
"Let me go!" You began to scream hoping someone would finally stop him.
"What's going on over there?" You heard a man ask the woman next to him.
"They're probably a couple that's fighting" she shrugged it off as she continued to walk
You shook your head violently as you tugged your arm for dear life "I don't know that man! Someone help!" To your utter horror people continued to ignore you. Tears threatened to fall down your cheeks as the man made a sharp turn down an alley. "Help!" You voice began cracking in fear. Still no one came.
The man threw you up against a wall behind a trashcan and leaned down till his face was a mere inch from yours "do you know who I am?" He asked "do you know what I've done and gotten away with?"
You turned your head to the side and began to cry. "Let me go!" You voice echoed throughout the alleyway. The man lifted his fist and brought it down on your cheek. The pain wasn't instant, maybe because of shock or adrenaline, but it definitely erupted over your whole entire face once your brain realized what happened. You felt your tears graze over your tbrobbing skin. You began to scream in pain but the man grabbed a towel from the trash and stuffed it in your mouth, muffling your cries. You tried to still use your voice to grab someone's, anyone's attention, but it seemed to have no effect. Your mind couldn't accept the fact that no help was coming.
"I'm gonna enjoy this" he said as his hands began to fumble with his belt. Once you realized what he was doing you began to scream violently and kick his chest. He tried to push your hands away and cover his ribs. Once he did this you saw an opening and kicked his crotch as hard as you could. The man fell back and began to cry out in agony "you fucking bitch!"
You pulled the rag out of your mouth and stood up. Before you managed to run away you saw the mans grip in his crotch move upwards to his chest. He began to breath heavily in an attempt to catch his breath. Tears fell down his temps as he desperately clawed at his chest. You rose a brow in confusion. There was no chance that your kicks from before hurt him that hard. Foamed formed at the corners of his once grinning mouth as his body began to shake. Your eyes widened in complete horror. After a few moments of what seemed to be the most horribly painful struggle of the mans life he stopped moving.
There was no need to check for a pulse. The man was definitely dead. His face blue and his body stiff. His eyes remained forever open and glossy as they looked up at the sunny sky. You remained standing in place in complete disbelief. Your mind began to search for answered immediately. Kira; It has to be Kira.
Your body froze at the sound of footsteps. Without looking over you shoulder you let out a loud distressed sigh before speaking "I think you have some explaining to do, Light"