Chapter 6: Crush

(Oops it's been like almost 2 years since I've updated 😅🤷🏼‍♀️)

It was strange having to walk back onto the building you now called home. Mentally you were beating yourself up for your failures today. Was there even a point in staying here and being a detective when you can't even catch the criminal you're after? Would it be more helpful for everyone if you just left? Coming to the realization that you were only a burden on L now, you began to accept that your days here were now numbered. You were only holding them back if you couldn't do the detective work that another more honest detective could.
For the first time you wished that the elevator ride was longer. You didn't want to face L and admit defeat. What would he think when you told him you give up? What reasonings could you even give? The elevator door rung as it opened itself wide. You let out a loud distressed sigh as you made your way down the hall. This was supposed to be your big break, and now you have to hang your head in shame knowing this was your own fault. You should have known better, of course someone was going to find out your secret.
You hesitantly stopped outside the front door. Your hand rested in the noob for a few moments, you needed to calm yourself before you entered. To your surprise the knob turned suddenly and the door opened to reveal a tired looking Matsuda. The black haired man looked up at you, just as shocked. "O-oh hey ____!" He cheered happily seeing it was only you "you scared me"
You gave him the best smile you could force on your face "Hey" you said quieter than you meant. Matsuda instantly knew something was wrong.
"What's wrong?" He asked moving closer. You shook your head in dismissal.
"I'm only tired" you lied "it's been a long day"
Matsuda nodded his head seeming to understand what you meant "I totally get it. I've been here for too long. I keep thinking every lead I have is spot on, but something always comes along to ruin it" he let out a disappointed sigh.
You exhaled a small breath "you have no idea how much I understand"
Matsuda looked at you taken back "oh- geez" he said softly "it's okay ____, don't let it get to you. You're a smart girl, if anyone has the upper hand it's you!" He let out a chuckle while scratching the back of his head. You gave him a weak smile.
"I hope you're right, Matsuda" you said softly pushing him out of your way and walking into the room behind him. Matsuda stood there confused, wondering if he had said something to upset you.

"____" L's voice brought you back down to reality. You had once again been thinking about your messy situation. Turning your head you saw the strange man sitting on the couch in his usual position eating a cupcake. "Would you care to join me?" He asked. You hesitated but eventually made your way over and sat across from him. His eyes remained wide as they followed your every move.
"Hey, L" you tried your best to sound normal. Luckily for you L seemed to have poor social skills and couldn't pick up in certain emotions as easy as normal people.
"Where were you today? I had some information to give you but I couldn't find you anywhere" he spoke as he took a large bite out of the cupcake. "Did you finish that work I gave you?"
You nodded "yeah I got done a little more than you asked actually" you informed him, ignoring his previous question.
"Ah" he said taking another bite "I noticed Light was absent today also" you sucked in your lips as he spoke "would you happen to know anything about that?"
There was no point in lying to the man, you knew that. "Yeah, he actually invited me out to eat" you confessed. L seemed unamused, already knowing you were out with him.
"How did that go?" He questioned "did you get any useful information"
An internal struggle broke out inside you. L was the only other person that suspected Light. If you had a shot at taking him down L was your only chance. Then again, you had no idea how L would react to your secret. He surely would take you off the force, but you were unsure if he would take legal action against you. All this information together still didn't give you enough confidence, because at the end of the day you still had no proof.
"I..." you trailed off slowly. L seemed to notice your hesitation and halted his eating. His eyes were completely locked on your small frame. "I think he likes me" L sat back, this obviously wasn't the information he was requesting. You continued "I think you were right"
"Well..." he began "yeah" his confidence amazed you.
"L I don't... I don't think I can-" L silenced you holding up a single finger.
"Does he make you uncomfortable?" L asked curiously. You paused for a moment returning his stare. Slowly you nodded your head. "Huh" L breathed before taking another bite of his almost completely eaten cupcake "do I make you uncomfortable?" He finally asked.
The question caught my off guard. You weren't sure what he was trying to say exactly. "Uh- no L, you don't" you said honestly. L nodded his head taking the last bite out of his food. He was quiet which was odd for him. "Why do you ask?" You questioned genuinely curious.
One thing you've always prided yourself on was your ability to pick up on people's emotions. You were good at knowing what people were thinking just by their body language. But, when L began displaying signs of nervousness you began to question your natural ability. What could he possibly have to be nervous about?
"Why don't you come to my room?" He asked standing up. You rose a brow but followed his lead. He turned abruptly not making eye contact with you. His steps were fast and less coordinated than usual. This wasn't the normal L.
Once inside his room L closed the door behind you. You thought he was going to walk over to his desk but to your surprise he hopped on the center of his bed and patted the spot in front of him. "Sit" he commanded. You obeyed and crawled on top of the bed with him.
You weren't sure if you should speak. You assumed that L would do that talking now that he lead you in here. But, surprising you once more L simply averted his eyes to the side and remained quiet. As if he was in deep thought. "L?" Your voice was soaked in worry "what's wrong?"
L didn't look at you. He simply exhaled and moved his eyes down to his lap. This was all extremely strange to you. "I think..." he paused "I have a crush" you honestly weren't expecting those to be his words to you. Your eyes widened as you held back the urge to laugh. It amazed you L could make you do such a thing at a time like this. "On you"
Your amused face turned into one of confusion. You scrunched your eyebrows and moved your head back in disbelief. "On me?" You repeated the words.
L nodded while finally turning his gaze towards you "it's odd" he admitted "I've never felt this way before, but after much research and consideration I've come to this conclusion" you began to realize that L didn't posses the shyness most people would considering he didn't even know what a crush was. He probably thought everyone was this upfront.
"Well... that's very flattering" you said with a small chuckle.
L didn't respond at first, his dark eyes watched over you carefully. "Do you have a crush on me?" A tint of pink rose to your cheeks as you struggled to answer.
L saw your hesitation and began to stress out silently. He had wondered if he said something wrong. Closing his eyes he began to think of what the internet had told him earlier when he looked this up.
"L, are you okay?" You asked confused. L ignored you and continued to think. After a few seconds he opened his eyes wide as though he made the most important realization known to man.
"Ah!" He exclaimed. Without warning he leaned forward and rammed his lips into yours. Having never of done something like this before he was confused on what to do now. Your face turned completely red as you tried to process what was happening. L slowly pulled back and looked into your eyes to see your reaction. "Well?" He asked
"I....." you trailed off thinking "you're..." L was not positive he did something wrong "you're adorable" you laughed.
L exhaled in relief "so, you have a crush on me also?" He asked "I read that actions speak louder than words. I guess that was true"
You laughed even harder "yeah" you said softly "I guess they do"
He seemed slightly annoyed at you avoiding his question "____" he said sternly. You looked up at him confused. "You need you to tell me how you feel. I don't know the answer and it's bothering me"
You paused in thought before answering "yeah, I like you" you truly believed that you meant this. Maybe it wasn't a huge crush, but you definitely thought he was at least cute. Awkward to say the least, but cute.
"Ah, well I suppose that is convenient. What is not convenient is how this will affect our work." L began to scratch his head seemingly a little frustrated "Light cannot know of this, we must convince him that you are interested in him, for the case." You nodded your head in agreement, but noticed some hesitation in L as he seemed to be looking for the right words to continue "I uh, I just ask one thing of you _____"
"What?" You asked with your head tilted. L did not look at you directly.
"I'm not sure why, because I know you and Light getting close could benefit me, but something just doesn't feel right when you're alone with him. It upsets me, but it should not because this is what I thought I wanted for the case..." L trailed off
"If you're worried I'll become interested in Light" you interrupted "don't be. He's, uh, let's just say he's not my type" L seemed perplexed by that statement
"Care to elaborate?" He asked
"I don't trust him" you said matter of factly. You were thinking of anyway to tell L Light is Kira, but everything would lead back to Light exposing you. You needed to earn L's trust before you make a risky move such as that.
"That makes two of us" L nodded biting his finger "nothing good came out of lunch with him?" L questioned. You hesitate for a moment
"Not this time" you lied "but I promise we'll get him, and we will find out who he really is"